Answered

Updating from DSM 6 to 7 on my Synology NAS killed my Sonos/Plex integration

• 27 February 2024
  • 3 replies

My Sonos system used to work with Plex.  I had the Plex software installed on a Synology DS218+ running DSM 6.  I am using Plex for one reason only - to give Sonos access to my entire music collection.  I have some of my music in my Sonos library and the remainder in my PlexMusic library to access on Sonos via Plex.

1. Two weeks ago Synology suggested that I update from DSM 6 To DSM 7.
  2. I installed DSM 7.  My current installation is:  Version: 7.1.1-42962 Update 6
  3. After the installation of DSM 7 Sonos stopped working with Plex.
  4. I deleted Plex and tried a clean install.
  5. I created a Directory on the Synology titled PlexMusic to store my music files.  I put excess files that Sonos can’t see there.
  6. I verified that Plex is able to see this library which it has scanned and indexed .  I can view the library in the Plex app running on the Synology.
  7. I removed and added Plex back as a Music Source in Sonos.
  8. Plex does not work as a Music Source under Sonos.  When I click on Plex I receive the message:  No Plex Media Server available.  Please make sure your Plex Media Server is accessible.
  9. I found some suggestions online and made the following edits (in “Shared Folders”) to Synology permissions:  (https://nascompares.com/guide/how-to-install-plex-on-a-synology-nas-with-dsm-7/ )
    1. Directory: Plex
      1. Gave permissions under “Local Users” and “System Internal User” to give Plex Read/Write Access
    2. Directory: PlexMusic
      1. Gave permissions under “Local Users” and “System Internal User” to give Plex Read/Write Access
  10. Plex still does not work as a source under Sonos.  When I click on Plex I receive the message:  No Plex media server available.  Please make sure your Plex Media server is accessible.
  11. What should I try next?

icon

Best answer by Bumper 27 February 2024, 13:47

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Check that you have remote access enabled in Plex and that your router supports nat loop back. 

see this link for details on both 

https://support.plex.tv/articles/218237558-requirements-for-using-plex-for-sonos/

Thank you Bumper!  That actually worked.  I can select Plex as a music source in Sonos now and play the music in my music library.

I am a bit concerned and confused about the security implications of doing this.  My naive understanding (I do materials and mechanical engineering for my day job and shy away from computer support and networking as much as possible) is that by enabling remote access, I am effectively opening a port and allowing the possibility of a bad actor finding that open port and accessing my NAS. 

Is my understanding correct?  If it is, is there a way to configure the remote access so that the only party capable of accessing Plex remotely is Sonos?  Or am I completely misunderstanding the implications of doing this?

I look forward to your reply!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Your understanding is correct, there is a not zero risk that bad actors could attempt to hack/access your install.  Some suggestions: 

• keep your Plex install up to date 
  • use a strong password
  • enable 2fa on your Plex account

(I think the risk is small, but personally I’ve turned off remote access and use Plex amp to cast to my speakers)