Answered

UK BT Mesh System (WiFI disks)

• 31 March 2023
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I have a BT UK router and I am thinking about getting one of their WiFi disks to help extend the WiFi upstairs, does this work OK with Sonos? Or are there issues?

To be clear, I don’t want a possible mesh BT WiFI disk for Sonos, just for a TV upstairs that has poor WiFI connection sometimes. Most of my Sonos is on SonosNet and my portable speakers seem to do fine on the WiFi.

If I got a BT Disk, could this upset Sonos?

icon

Best answer by Traveller 31 March 2023, 15:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Not sure what disc you are talking about, as there are many versions of BT router. I would look at their latest ‘complete WiFi’ product, as they guarantee good WiFi coverage with a new router and additional discs, or give you money back.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

It is that kind of set up I mean 😁

I have the latest router but don’t have the discs they offer for the complete WiFi package. I was thinking of ringing them to ask if they could supply a disc to help my upstairs WiFi. Was not sure how these even work and if they cause any issues with Sonos

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

It shouldn’t interfere with Sonos, there are many BT customers with ‘Complete WiFi’ that are using Sonos. I am sure they work, otherwise BT would offer the guarantee?

Complete Wi-Fi Guarantee

BT sends additional discs to guarantee a reliable wi-fi connection in every room of your home. We’ll send you up-to three discs to ensure this. If you still can’t get a reliable wi-fi connection around your home we’ll give you a one-off credit of £100 off your next BT bill. The guarantee only applies when your Smart Hub 2 is connected to the fixed broadband network and it does not cover broadband faults. For full terms see bt.com/legalstuff.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks 😀

Think I will ring them soon then. 

I have 2 BT Wi-Fi extenders, as the house has metal door supports which impede Wi-Fi!

They work fine with Sonosnet  - I have Beam attached to the Bt router, 2 BT discs, and Sonosnet in use. The matrix grid is green, with one yellow, so all OK.

So, certainly in my case, the discs do not interfere with Sonos at all.

Also, don’t BT give you a ‘free’ disc as part of their deal - or has that offer gone?

I got one from them, and bought the 2nd.

I used to use power line ( which you could use for a TV), but took it all out with the improved Wi-Fi  from SmartHub 2.

hope that all helps!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks @Traveller  - I have ordered one to be delivered tomorrow 

Ah - I see someone has covered the BT guarantee!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Traveller  - I don’t qualify for a free disc as I don’t pay the little extra monthly fee for ‘complete WiFi’. I have ordered one from Amazon to be delivered tomorrow. 

I have been using the BT WiFi extenders for some time now, and as someone noted above, this seems to work fine if the speakers are on Sonos Net. Things seem a bit more messy though if the speakers are connected directly to the WiFi.

When I introduced the additional WiFi discs, most other systems on the network worked fine, but I noticed that some of my speakers kept disappearing from the available list on the S2 app.  This had never been a problem before going to a mesh network.

The solution to these dropouts initially was to move the speakers over to Sonos Net, by plugging one of them into an Ethernet cable.   The app now sees all speakers consistently apart from Roam, which doesn’t support Sonos Net.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I have been using the BT WiFi extenders for some time now, and as someone noted above, this seems to work fine if the speakers are on Sonos Net. Things seem a bit more messy though if the speakers are connected directly to the WiFi.

When I introduced the additional WiFi discs, most other systems on the network worked fine, but I noticed that some of my speakers kept disappearing from the available list on the S2 app.  This had never been a problem before going to a mesh network.

The solution to these dropouts initially was to move the speakers over to Sonos Net, by plugging one of them into an Ethernet cable.   The app now sees all speakers consistently apart from Roam, which doesn’t support Sonos Net.

TL;DR avoid BT WiFi entirely, use SonosNet.

Solid advice given BT’s track record here. Except the newer Sonos devices can’t use SonosNet, its as if Sonos are not familiar with the torrid history of BT wifi routers.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@controlav  just so you know most isp routers suck for Wi-Fi not just BT 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@controlav  just so you know most isp routers suck for Wi-Fi not just BT 😊

True, which is why I haven’t used one in about a decade, but BT still seem to have a near-monopoly in the UK so their crappy routers have an unduly large blast radius.