Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Router & 3 AP's - app loses rooms but playback not affected

• 20 October 2023
  • 10 replies

I have a newly installed Unifi setup. My Sonos works perfectly in all rooms, but the app seems to lose rooms occasionally. Playback isn’t affected and everything works perfectly from a hardware perspective, it’s just i cannot control them from the app from time to time.

It’s very intermittent and seems to have something to do with my phone roaming between access points. Sometimes if i move to another access point, then the sonos app finds everything again.

Is there a setting i am missing? Everything else on my network works perfectly. 

I have been chatting to support but they can’t help. it’s the usual story of reset this etc… never works. Case numbe4r is 0545883. Diagnostics are on this case number 

I have the following Unifi Setup:

1 x Unifi Dream Router (UDR)

3 x U6+ Wired Access Points (AP’s)

2 of the AP’s are wired directly to the UDR. 1 of the AP’s is wired to a network switch that is then patched to the UDR.

Sonos:

Bedroom: 1 x Play 1

Hall: 1 x Play 1

Kitchen: 2 x Play 1 (stereo pair)

Tank (our outbuilding): 2 x Play 1 (stereo pair)

The issue persists across the entire house, so it’s not the network switch. 

any help out there? thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Have you read https://github.com/IngmarStein/unifi-sonos-doc ?

I'm fairly sure I have it configured as per that article @controlav . Thanks for sending though.

All Sonos devices are wireless btw

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you haven’t you could set static/reserved IPs for all Sonos and maybe your phone. 

If when you can’t see your Sonos, what happens if you disconnect the phone’s WiFi and reconnect it back to the same AP?

Use STP rather than RSTP. Experiment with disabling IPv6 on the local network. My PC does not handle this well. I had no issues that I could specifically blame on SONOS, but a few odd issues went away after I disabled IPv6 support.

great thanks. i have already set statics for everything so that doesnt seem to be the issue. although this has meant plyaback and response is brilliant.

i have just played around with STP and IPV6 - see if this helps.

thanks all. will keep you posted

great thanks. i have already set statics for everything so that doesnt seem to be the issue. although this has meant plyaback and response is brilliant.

i have just played around with STP and IPV6 - see if this helps.

thanks all. will keep you posted

Almost all posts I’ve seen from users with a Unifi setup who have device discovery issues tend to solve it by going through the steps in the link that @controlav posted earlier - are you certain you have correctly set the things mentioned? - I assume the satellites need configuring too.. not that I’m personally familiar with a Unifi setup, but it perhaps maybe worth another look-see if problems do continue for you.

… are you certain you have correctly set the things mentioned? - I assume the satellites need configuring too.. not that I’m personally familiar with a Unifi setup, but it perhaps maybe worth another look-see if problems do continue for you.

In the configuration web page shown above any setup changes will be “provisioned” (Ubiquiti speak) across all access points and switches currently “managed” by the Dream Router. Further, if a new device is later “adopted” (added), it will automatically inherit the setup. It’s reasonably docile at this level, but it takes getting used to. It is also possible to go off into the weeds if you have the energy.

thanks @buzz and @Ken_Griffiths 

@buzz you are correct. all of my AP settings are propagated to each AP as i have universal settings (no need to customise each one on my home setup)

Everything has been working fine the last 24 hours since I changed to STP and disabled IPV6. I suspect it’s the STP thing as @buzz detailed

Will give it a week or so and report back to you all

so the root cause of this is the RSTP protocol. When switched to STP, Sonos app works flawlessley.

HOWEVER, I am in a predicament, as my IPTV does not work with STP enabled. It requires RSTP to operate.

I have no idea where to go from here, as I believe i am unable to have a Vlan setup with RSTP for IPTV and a primary with STP for sonos.

any further advances on ideas?

the weird thing is that all of my devices are wireless… so i dont see why stp / rstp makes any difference to them