Answered

Two WiFi networks and a Boost

• 27 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi, I’m trying to optimize my home WiFi networks. I have two running: one is off of the Comcast router, the second runs an Orbi mesh network (it’s a 3-story, narrow rowhome). Most of my devices run off of the Orbi network (which is connected to the cable router via an unmanaged switch). Since it’s a 3 story home, I purchased a Sonos Boost to support speakers on every floor. And of course the router is on the ground floor.

1. Does it make sense to put the Boost onto the cable router (through the network switch), or with most other WiFi devices, into one of the Orbi devices?
  2. Can the boost work as a wireless bridge (the documentation is vague), in which case I could put it on the second floor?
  3. Finally, can most of the devices in the home (including the iOS controller and Alexa, be on a different WiFi network than Sonos?)

I’m trying to figure out how best to configure this, and would really appreciate your advice! Thanks all...

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 28 February 2021, 14:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

It would likely be best to switch off the WiFi on your Comcast router completely and just use the Orbi WiFi around your 3 storey home.

Wire the Sonos Boost to the primary Orbi Hub only and try the three SonosNet channels, 1-6 or 11 to see which works best. Try to keep the SonosNet channel away from the Orbi wifi channels. Do not wire any Sonos Products to your Orbi satellite hubs.

Thanks for the response: seems like a great way to go! Makes sense not to have conflict with two WiFi networks. I was getting concerned about capacity, with all of the WiFi IoT devices that seem to have found their way into my home.

I’m just curious about one aspect, why avoid wiring to Orbi hubs? 

Thanks!

Thanks for the response: seems like a great way to go! Makes sense not to have conflict with two WiFi networks. I was getting concerned about capacity, with all of the WiFi IoT devices that seem to have found their way into my home.

I’m just curious about one aspect, why avoid wiring to Orbi hubs? 

Thanks!

Mostly because of the backhaul - if a Sonos speaker/device is not wired to an Orbi satellite hub - the signal between the Sonos device and the wired root bridge will go direct between the two in a less disruptive manner and not have to rely on any Orbi connection. So I would recommend using just the one Sonos product wired to the Primary Orbi Hub only - I think you will find less interruptions that way.