Answered

Turning WiFi Off in a SonosNet configuration

• 22 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Hey there

Given a Sonos network with 8 players.

One player is wired to the router, as far as my understanding is right, my Sonos configuration is a SonosNet mesh network. I see WM:0 at each player. (All the seven other players are wireless)

What happens if I turn off the Wifi (using the app) for the one player that is wired (my sonosnet coordinator)?  Will turning off the wifi causing problems? Because this one wired player is communicating over wireless to the other 7 player within the Sonos MeshNet?

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 22 January 2020, 18:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It would kill your SonosNet  it doesn't turn off WiFi, it turns off the wireless radio.  Ridiculously badly labelled setting. 

If the system has WiFi credentials the other speakers can connect to WiFi. If not they will vanish from your controller. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe Sonos could relabel that option in a future update, maybe “Disable radio” or “Turn off radio” to be less confusing?

Maybe also mark it unavailable if surrounds or a sub are bonded if it would break that bonding?

Maybe Sonos could relabel that option in a future update, maybe “Disable radio” or “Turn off radio” to be less confusing?

Maybe also mark it unavailable if surrounds or a sub are bonded if it would break that bonding?

Maybe they will change it, but @ratty and I have been suggesting they do since the day this option was added to the app, to no effect.

Thank you for your respones!

One more thing; could you explain the term wireless radio? I assume this is what is needed for Sonos MeshNet wireless connection?

Does that mean, even with wifi (alias wireless radio) toggled off, the speaker could still be connected over my regular LAN wifi to my router in a WM: 1 configuration?

Thank you again.

Wireless radio is the system that a speaker uses to connect to any wireless signal. It could be WiFi, it could be SonosNet. Basically, if the speaker doesn’t have an Ethernet cable connected, or if it has any speakers “bonded” to it (like a SUB or surround speakers), the wireless radio should not be turned off. 

There is practically never a time that it should be turned off. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thank you for your respones!

One more thing; could you explain the term wireless radio? I assume this is what is needed for Sonos MeshNet wireless connection?

Does that mean, even with wifi (alias wireless radio) toggled off, the speaker could still be connected over my regular LAN wifi to my router in a WM: 1 configuration?

Thank you again.

As said, wireless radio is a generic term, WiFi (in many variations) and Sonos Net (v1 or v2) are two of many specific connection specifications. Making it even more complicated Sonos only uses the WiFi B/G varieties.

No, if your radio is turned off then the Sonos will have no radio communication, be it WiFi or Sonos Net flavor. That includes the essential 5 GHz link for the Sub or surrounds. All you can do at that point is hook it to Ethernet and be put in WM: 0 mode for basic use and with no Sub Surround link.