Answered

Trying to get wired internet from Soundbar to TV

• 8 July 2019
  • 2 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies
Hi Guys
my soundbar is hard wired to the internet and I was trying to connect an ethernet cable from the soundbar to the TV. Even though the TV displays the message that the network cable is detected, the internet is not working.
Here is the error I am getting:
Wired network connection failed
Automatic IP setup failed, try the following to set up an IP address automatically. Or set up an IP address manually by selecting IP settings:
  • Make sure the DHCP server is enabled on your wireless router and turn it off and on
  • call your internet service provider for more information
Thanks in advance.
I am not a fan of wireless connections so trying to hardwire as many things as I can but got stuck with this one.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 8 July 2019, 14:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

The Ethernet ports on Sonos devices are inactive when used in wireless mode. Go to Settings > About My Sonos System and check the entry for the soundbar. Look for a row under each player that says “WM” (Wireless Mode).

WM=0” means your system is in a wired setup
“WM=1” means your system is in a wireless setup
"WM=2" means the device is bonded as a surround speaker or Sub to a Playbar, Playbase, or Beam in wireless setup

If yours in in wireless setup, then either the Ethernet port it is connected to is not active, or the cable is bad. Get it connected properly, then remove the WiFi credentials to force wired setup (see this link):

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3488?language=en_US
Userlevel 7
Hi Runi

I maybe misreading your question but I think you are setting yourself up for more complications down the line.

The Playbar (IMO) is not a conduit to the internet. Furthermore, IMO every device that connects to the internet should do so on it's own. Wiring your Playbar to your router may be necessary during setup; but in most instances it is a means to establish the SonosNet versus using your home Wi-Fi. In fact any speaker (or Sonos component ) wired to your router can be used to establish the SonosNet. The exception would be a speaker being used as a surround.

Wiring all your speakers back to your router; while a good way to strength the SonosNet, may not always be necessary (however, there's no downside to doing so). There’s also a dedicated Sonos device called the Boost that can be used rather than a speaker. Setting static IP Addresses for your Sonos components is a good idea as well. Again dong so has nothing to do with an internet connection.

If your TV is saying that the internet is not working I suggest the following:

Check your internet connection between the incoming ISP cable to your modem and/or modem/router combo. If using a standalone modem and router check the connection between the incoming ISP cable to the modem and the Ethernet connection between the modem and your router. Replace any cables that may be damaged.

Your TV may require an Ethernet connection between it and your router; if it does not have wireless connection capabilities. Consult your TV manual for information on how to properly establish and internet connection. Ask yourself "what would you do to establish an internet connection to your TV if you didn't own a Sonos product?"

After you have resovled the internet issue with your TV please post back for help in getting your Sonos setup or follow the directions in the link: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos

Cheers!