Question

SonosNet - dropouts

• 13 January 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I'm am trying to understand how SonosNet works with ethernet connected devices. I have recently been experiencing dropouts from local NAS & Spotify. I think I have found the issue, but hoping someone with more experience can clarify if my understanding is correct, after looking at logs on router.

Lets say there are 2 players, 1E (connected to Ethernet), 2S (connected via SonosNet/wireless to 1E)

If I start Spotify on player 2S, I can see this player (via IP address in my router) streaming from Spotify, so this must be connecting via 1E to the router, plays OK.

If I then group player 1E to the 2S player, player 1E sometimes drops. I can see that player 2S is still streaming on router.

So it seems the data is flowing from router --> 1E --SonosNet--> 2S --SonosNet--> 1E, is that correct?

If I start streaming from 1E then add 2S to group I dont get drop outs.

I also see similar if I play local music from NAS (especially Apple Lossless), I get dropouts if I start from a non Ethernet player. If I start from ethernet, then group SonosNet, it seems fine.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hello there, craigski. Here is an article that should help paint a complete picture of how SonosNet works. SonosNet is created when you set up Sonos in the BOOST configuration. In your case, 1E is your main connection for the rest of your Sonos system. The very interesting part is that you say this hardwired speaker drops out from time to time. This shouldn't be happening especially if it is hardwired. Have you tried replacing the Ethernet cable between 1E and the router? Also, what is the make and model of the router 1E is plugged into?
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Your assertion is correct. The player that you join other players to, will be responsible for the streaming, and forwarding the stream to the other grouped players. Hence your observation that when 2S is the coordinator, you might suffer dropouts from 1E even though it's hardwired. This however indicates that your wireless links are poor between the players, or you suffer from severe wireless interference. Submit a diagnostic to sonos and they could give you some advice.