Question

Sonos wont work on all Access Points

• 8 June 2017
  • 4 replies

I have 2 Access Points, they are SonicPoint ACi's and i can only connect to my Sonos Connect Box when im on the same Access point as the Sonos Connect Box, When i go to the other end of the house and try and connect with my app it wont see it.

The WLAN (wifi access points network) are on their own Subnet, i was unable to bridge the WLAN to LAN to only have a single subnet even with help from sonicwall i was unsuccessful so i had to create a 2nd subnet. When i try and hardwire somthing to the WLAN network for anything other than a Access Point it wont dish out DHCP or anything else to be able to plug the Sonos Connect in via Ethernet.

Any ideas or am i just stuck being able to only connect to the sonos if im on the same end of the house as the network rack? Or should i look at a HEOS system.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Sonos controllers and players need to be on the same broadcast subnet. It's consistent with the UPnP standard and, unless it uses a cloud-mediated control technique, Heos is likely to have the same requirement.

Are you sure there's absolutely no way to bridge the WLAN and LAN together? I seem to recall some Sonos users a few years back needing to explicitly enable L2 bridging in a Sonicwall device.

FWIW I don't understand the comment that DHCP is unavailable on the WLAN subnet. If it isn't, how do wireless devices actually get onto the network?
Sonos controllers and players need to be on the same broadcast subnet. It's consistent with the UPnP standard and, unless it uses a cloud-mediated control technique, Heos is likely to have the same requirement.

Are you sure there's absolutely no way to bridge the WLAN and LAN together? I seem to recall some Sonos users a few years back needing to explicitly enable L2 bridging in a Sonicwall device.

FWIW I don't understand the comment that DHCP is unavailable on the WLAN subnet. If it isn't, how do wireless devices actually get onto the network?

Alright,

I have not been able to bridge the WLAN to LAN on a the firewall made 2 calls and the sonicwall techs tried and failed, i have gotten it to work on another firewall (different location) TZ500 w/ built in wireless but something with the sonic points doesn't like it bridged to LAN and wont let the access points work.

I cant get DHCP on wired connections on the WLAN network. Wifi works fine other than that.

Would another option be to plug in the sonos connect to the LAN via ethernet and forward the ports to WLAN maybe?
Forwarding rules would not be entirely straightforward, owing to the multicast requirement. See here.
I have a similar problem when I installed Google wifi mesh. The SSID & passworks are the same and sonos works from desktop. music liberary, pandora etc. but the Sonos app says " you're on the xxxx wireless network but Sonos isn't." The selection options only take me to the help page or my wireless network selections?