Answered

Sonos WiFi to wired with UNIFI

• 19 April 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

A client of mine has multiple Sonos speakers throughout his house all connected with AMP's to a main amplifier. The AMP's where all connected through WiFi.
A problem occurs after listening to music for some time, where the audio starts to play with a small delay in different rooms. Im guessing this is because the AMP's are connecting to different Unifi AP's as the house is quiet big (small lag).

No is there a possibility to connect all these AMP's to 1 Unifi AP-AC-Pro's secondary port, as they are situated next to each other. He already tried this himself (connected a switch to the secondary port of the Unifi and linked all the AMP's).
Result: no music.

Im reading about network loops etc. Problems.
Im going there tomorrow to fix things and so far i've come to the conclusion that I need to disable the WiFi on all the Sonos products to get them to work wired.

Anyone got any tips for me?

Cheers
icon

Best answer by BMF 19 April 2018, 20:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Is there a reason why they have all the Sonos devices connected to the WiFi?

You can generally have better results if you use Sonos Net instead of WiFi.

I would see if you can connect 1 of the Sonos speakers to the network via Ethernet cable and then the others can connect to this one via Sonos Net instead of the WiFi.

I don’t have Ubiquity, but do have Google WiFi in my house and the Sonos net and WiFi are separate and performance of both individuals are great, they do not seem to interfere.

A friend of mine was having similar issues that you have described and once I explained about using only one device connected via cable his problems were resolved.

I have a network switch in my TV cabinet that I connect directly to my Playbar with an Ethernet cable and then all other speakers connect wirelessly on the Sonos net in a mesh.

Hope that helps
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Are the rooms grouped when playing and getting out of sync?

If they aren't grouped but are playing individual streams of the same source I think that bypasses the Sonos synchronization system.
Is there a reason why they have all the Sonos devices connected to the WiFi?

You can generally have better results if you use Sonos Net instead of WiFi.

I would see if you can connect 1 of the Sonos speakers to the network via Ethernet cable and then the others can connect to this one via Sonos Net instead of the WiFi.

I don’t have Ubiquity, but do have Google WiFi in my house and the Sonos net and WiFi are separate and performance of both individuals are great, they do not seem to interfere.

A friend of mine was having similar issues that you have described and once I explained about using only one device connected via cable his problems were resolved.

I have a network switch in my TV cabinet that I connect directly to my Playbar with an Ethernet cable and then all other speakers connect wirelessly on the Sonos net in a mesh.

Hope that helps

So you are saying I can get a better result with just 1 AMP connected via ethernet and the other AMP's just via WiFi?
Will the other AMP's connect via WiFi to this wired AMP, and so have a better sync?
But I can also connect all of the AMP's wired right? I imagine this is even more reliable?

I will try it out today and let you know!
Are the rooms grouped when playing and getting out of sync?

If they aren't grouped but are playing individual streams of the same source I think that bypasses the Sonos synchronization system.

Yes this make sense. I will check how my client uses his app and groups. Thanks
Connecting 1 Sonos AMP via ethernet making everything working smoothly. All the Sonos players connect via the mesh and are better synced. Thanks for the tip!