Question

Sonos takes down whole network

• 8 March 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi Guys,
I have a problem with Sonos system, actually with few units, but I will start from beginning.
System contains:
1 CONNECT
9 AMP
1 PLAYBAR
2 PLAY-3
1 SUB
PLAYBAR PLAY-3s and SUB are configured as Surround.
When I connected 9 AMPs and CONNECT to switch with router and access points controller everything is fine, but after I added there PLAY-3 or PLAYBAR whole network is going down. Trying to get what is wrong I checked this entry on Community: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-connect-brings-down-my-entire-network-6788347
Also checked the Table of not compatible hardware, and everything seams fine. I have STP enabled on switch and it should not be a problem for Sonos.
Switch: Netgear GS728TP
Access points controller: TP-LINK AC50 – this is the DHCP server.
I tried to disable WiFi on each sonos then connect all together, but result is the same.
Please help me solve this puzzle.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

What happens if you enable JUST the play 3? Leave all other Sonos kit unplugged and just turn on the the Play 3.
Presumably one or both of the PLAY:3 and PLAYBAR is/are wired. If wiring an additional unit crashes the network there's almost certainly an unresolved STP issue. Look at the equipment on the wired path between the PLAY:3/PLAYBAR and the other Sonos units.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Just because your hardware is not in the offending list, doesn't mean it isn't problematic. But start by telling how everything is wired together. Also, explain how the STP is configured in the switch.

Is everything wired to the switch, or are some gear wired to the TP-LINK AC50?
Hi guys, thnaks for replys.
Everything is connected to NETGEAR switch, with wires, i disabled wifi on ALL sonos units, and problem is still there.
AC50 is connected with one wire to switch same as router and sonoses.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Even with wireless off, if the switch is mishandling STP (or rather, BPDU packets), you can probably get a storm too.
Have you read https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/default-netgear-switch-settings-cause-stp-issues-20727?

Maybe that shed some light on your options.
Thanks jishi for help, I will try to play with BPDU settings on switch. I will keep you update if I come up with something.