Question

SONOS play bar and Yamaha TSR-7810-7.2-Channel-Network-AV-Receiver

• 18 September 2017
  • 3 replies

Hello all,
I am planning to buy SONOS play bar and Yamaha Receiver from costco (links below)

1. Can i connect SONOS to my receiver and 55 inch T.V, Blue ray player and DVR to my receiver so that sound comes only from SONOS irrespective of whether its playing from DVR or Blu ray and so forth. I am not sure if this receiver has optical out that some of the forums mentioned and i looked at the ports and it did not say "Optical out" but rather "Optical".

https://www.costco.com/Yamaha-TSR-7810-7.2-Channel-Network-AV-Receiver.product.100308760.html
https://www.costco.com/Sonos-PLAYBAR-Bundle-with-Bonus%3a-Wall-Mount-Kit-%2526-6-Months-Apple-Music-.product.100375330.html

2. I have the Onkyo 5.1 that i bought ten years back and currently have Blu ray, DVR connected to the receiver. Sound comes the from the speakers attached to the receiver. Not sure how SONOS will work with that receiver.

Novice here so please do provide your inputs and suggestions on how can i route all the sound from SONOS through Yamaha receiver.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

No, it doesn't work that way. There should be a single output on the TV for optical. That would be what you connect to one of those two devices. Either the Sonos or the Yamaha, but not to both.

I see 2 optical inputs on that receiver, under AV 1 and AV4, but no optical out.

Your decision point depends on whether you want 7.1 or 5.1.

If it's 7.1, get the receiver, connect all of your HDMI inputs to it, and connect an HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Then hook up the 7.1 speakers that you have/purchase.

If you want to stay with Sonos, then there's no need to get the receiver, just connect the HDMI devices to your TV, and use the optical output to connect to the PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE., and bond your surrounds (PLAY:xs) and SUB.

But you can't do both the receciver and a PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE.

However, if you want to use the receiver for the 7.1 sound, you could then get a CONNECT to attach to it (usually via one of the tape jacks) so that it would stream any Sonos streaming content along with other Sonos speakers (in stereo).
Are you planning on hooking up additional speakers to the receiver? I'm not sure what the receiver is for. Assuming your TV can take the DVR and bluray through HDMI inputs, and your tv has an optical out, then you won't get any value from the receiver. If your tv can't do that, they you might be better served by getting an HDMI switch instead of a full blown receiver.

However, if you do want to use the receiver to power additional speakers (which I wouldn't recommend) then I would think the way to connect it all is to have DVR/bluray to the receiver, receiver to tv, and tv to playbar. Again, that assumes your tv has an optical out (if not you'll need an hdmi to optical switch). Again, I don't think this is a good idea.

Really though, if you want to use the receiver to get 7.2 sound, then don't get a playbar. Just get normal passive speakers to go with your setup. If you want the option of playing sonos music sources or include the setup in a whole home setup, then get a CONNECT.

The whole reason for the PLAYBAR, and any soundbar really, is that the amps are built into the speaker(s) so that you don't need a separate receiver/amp to power them. It eliminates the wiring and gives a cleaner look. Some don't care for the sound though, so it's a personal preference.
So im looking to do the same

My receiver in my game room went out. I have 6.1 boston acoustic setup for my tv and was curious could I link all this to my sonos.

1) want to use speakers for tv and music.

2) do i even need to buy a receiver.. i think i do if i want to watch tv and hear through speakers.

Was looking at same costco Yamaha TSR-7810-7.2-Channel-Network-AV-Receiver.. any comments on receiver? Everyone i know who has a yamaha loves it and the app is great.

3) i have sonos in my living room down stairs.
Play bar, 2- play 1s and sub. My kitchen has 1 play 5 and a sub. I figured if i some how connected my gameroom to sonos, all on one ap is nice.. but dont want to buy speakers for my game room since i dont spend to much time in there.

Help please:)
I know amp will handle speakers but that means no tv, so i think i need receiver and connect.. since i have 6.1, might need 2 connect