Sonos on VLAN's not detecting

• 30 May 2018
  • 4 replies

I have 2 different VLANs and both VLAN's are linked to one other, Sonos is connected on one VLAN and when I am trying to configure Sonos on iPad which is on other linked VLAN but Sonos is not detecting iPad, I need help in configuring Sonos on iPad

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos makes extensive use of multicast and broadcast traffic, which doesn't transfer from one VLAN to another without some kind of proxy to pass the traffic between the two VLANs. The solution likely depends on what you're using for your router/firewall, as that's the most likely place for such a translation to occur.

A Google search will likely return many results from different sites and forums for different router/firewall vendors... those would probably be the best source for info to set it up.
Hey Mike, Thanks for your reply, I understood what you are saying, but I have checked and for the proxy or any other kind of firewall restrictions and there is no issue at that part. as per your suggestion, I will check on google or different forum, Thanks for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It's not just a matter of having the proxy piece installed or turned on... there are usually specific settings that need to be configured for it to properly send the traffic between the two networks. That's why I recommend doing a Google search for your router/firewall so you can get info specific for your setup.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Would you expect that putting all your Sonos players on the same VLAN would work without issue?