SONOS not useable anymore

I don't know what happened to you people at sonos, but something is fundamentally wrong.
Not only do you force me to register an account, you force me to use a mobile app and you make your own hardware unusable.

I used my sonos play 5 gen 2, which cost more than 500 bucks, at my company.
There we have an internal lan and a guest wifi.
I once registered my play 5 successfully on our guest network.
Now our wireless password changed. Your suggestion is of course, just connect to the wired network...
The problem is, my smartphone does not have an ethernet port.
I thought i could just reset my play 5 and start over, but, probably because you have registered my previous setup with my account, the setup fails and it says i have to shortly connect to the wired network to finish the setup.
So i can not connect to the wired network with my phone, the only way i could configure my sonos device would be via a real computer, but you disabled that!

I am going to sell it and i hope you go broke. Mobile first is an antipattern. What do you think mobile ONLY is?!
What is wrong with you?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It is perfectly possible to set up a reset speaker to connect to your wireless network. If you were to call Sonos Support they would probably get you up and running again fairly quickly. There are no account issues that would prevent this.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I thought i could just reset my play 5 and start over, but, probably because you have registered my previous setup with my account, the setup fails and it says i have to shortly connect to the wired network to finish the setup.

So... there is a really big warning on the factory reset sonos FAQ page. It's there for a reason. Resetting doesn't really help the situation.

If it's telling you to wire into the network, that's probably due to some extender, wireless access point, or some type of network configuration not allowing the two to talk together. Mind you, you even said "my company" usually company networks have added security. Have you tried talking to your companies IT/network admin?
No, i had enough. I wont take this abuse anymore.
I bought an expensive device which is now no longer useable for me, because of sonos company policy.

I got it for private use and have been using it at home for some time.
Then i got forced to use an account, while Alexa was installed.
So i refused to use it at home, as i do not trust tech companies about their privacy promises.
Which is why i brought it to my company, where it has been used again for almost a year now.
It worked there!

And now this wont work either anymore, because sonos deliberately chose to deny acces to my own device, because it wants to force even more intrusive software on me. Because it denies me using my old software that has worked before on a real computer.
They even require location access for the setup. It is a speaker!
Why does a speaker need GPS location access to be set up?!
What kind of shady privacy abuse is going on there?
They probably think it's just some minor offense and everybody does that.
No it isn't. Privacy exists for a good reason.

I am not going to change anything on my part.
I did not sign up for this. So i am out, simple as that.
OK.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Then i got forced to use an account, while Alexa was installed.

You stated this is a Play:5.... Play:5's don't have Alexa capabilities. Sonos One's and the Beam has the Alexa integration.

They even require location access for the setup. It is a speaker!

You don't HAVE to use that. It just helps locate your speaker a bit easier.
Alexa is not "installed" on a Play:5. The Play:5 has no capabilities to run Alexa, its microphones are not even activated.