Sonos Move & Sonos One paired

• 16 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I purchased the Move the other day when it was on sale for $299. Sonos had a one day sale and offered a saving of $100. I thought it was a reasonable price for the Move. My original plan was to buy 2 more Sonos One or One SL. I already have 3 pairs of Sonos (4 Sonos Play 1 & 2 Sonos One). The Sonos One is paired with Playbase and Sub. The other 2 pairs are used in separate rooms. 
For those who have the Move already I’m sure the sound is really good? But those who have it paired with a Sonos One or One SL how does it sound in stereo? It would seem like the Move has a bigger sound than the One speaker when it’s used separately? So when paired I would think the Move is louder than the One? 
Also I’m thinking of the One SL over the Sonos One. I don’t need voice activation when the Move already has it. Plus I turned off voice activation on my Sonos One already. I don’t use it period. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

When talking about Sonos, we have to be careful about the use of the words paired, bonded, and grouped, as they have specific meanings in the Sonos ecosystem. When you use the term ‘paired’, you should be talking about a stereo pair, left and right. When you say ‘bonded’ you’re talking about a special connection between speakers, like a sub, or surrounds connected to a Sonos soundbar. The term ‘grouped’ means you have several ‘rooms’ in the Sonos software connected so they’ll play the same music.

Only speakers of the same type can be paired. This means you can’t create a right/left pair using a Move and a One. You can group them, however, and they’ll both play the same signal.

If you don’t use any voice control system, then you’re smart not to pay for the functionality you’ll not use, I’d definitely stick with the Sonos One SLs.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thank you for the clarification Bruce. I didn’t realize the difference when using the terminology. 
So if I were to buy another Sonos One SL it cannot be use with the Move as stereo if I wanted too? But of course I would be able to use both together. It just won’t have the stereo sound? 

You can ‘group’ a Sonos Move with a Sonos One, and they’ll both play the same audio in sync. You can not ‘pair’ a Sonos Move and a Sonos One and have one of them be the right speaker and the other be the left speaker. 

They’re sonically different, and Sonos considers it to be an issue, so they don’t allow ‘pairing’. There may be third party apps that do but I’m not familiar with them, so don’t really know. 

How do I group a move and One SL and make this group an option for Airplay?

Here is how to group and up group rooms in the Sonos system.