Question

Sonos Move - Dynamic VLAN Assignment

• 28 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi Sonos Community,

I recently set up dynamic VLAN assignments based on MAC address using RADIUS on my UniFi WiFi system.  Every device (even the cheap IoT stuff!) I have works just fine with this, except my Sonos Move.  

My understanding is that the VLAN assignment happens at the WAP, so the Move would just see my network as a regular old WPA2-secured network.  Am I missing something? I’d prefer not to have a second SSID set up just for my Sonos Move.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @dewbertdc

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information with you.

The Sonos Move always connects to your WiFi network, it doesn’t communicate with the Sonosnet (Sonos wired setup). If you have multiple SSID, your Sonos Move might not be able to identify the correct WiFi network. Sonos is compatible with 2.4GHz WiFi signal and 802.11b/g modes enabled for the wireless setup. Sonos devices and mobile controller should be on the same network subnet. If you’re using a Mesh Network, the suggested is Sonosnet this prevents the Sonos players from jumping from 1 access point to another. You may check out Sonos system requirements when setting up Sonos devices.

We can wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide their inputs about this. I’d also recommend contacting our phone support team with your full network setup including the make and model of each device to further look into this. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.