Answered

Sonos/IKEA Symfonisk (Lamp/shelf) Stereo pairing unavailable

• 25 February 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

I recently purchased two IKEA Sonos Symfonisk products (lamp+shelf), I’m hoping to make them work as a stereo pair (L/R), unfortunately after following all advice and guidance of ikea and sonos in order to pair them together, I’m still unable to do so
each time getting the error message:
Stereo pairing unavailable
You need to have 2 compatible products set up to create a stereo pair.
any suggestions to solve this?

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 25 February 2020, 23:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

If you mean you purchased one each of the products below (regardless of color) then they will not create a stereo pair. They are different models. Click the link: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1066?language=en_US

Badge

Hi

If you mean you purchased one each of the products below (regardless of color) then they will not create a stereo pair. They are different models. Click the link: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1066?language=en_US

Hmmmm interesting, even though they are both part of Symfonisk range!
so in order to create a pair, two lamps or Bookshelves models are required (not very practical in my case)
One last question: in the case of home-theater configuration with sonos beam, is it possible to make them work all together (Symfonisk Lamp ← Sonos beam → Symfonisk Bookshelf)?

You could ‘group’ them, but as in a stereo pair, you’d need two of the same model in order to set them up as surrounds.

Note that when ‘grouping’ with a Sonos sound bar, there is a slight delay between the two rooms.

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Sonos doesn’t allow “stereo pairing” two different speakers because they might sound different and you don’t want that for a stereo pair, normally. 

However, I don’t think this is a strict enforcement, and if I recall correctly, either Macronos for Android, or SonoSequenzr for iOS did provide the option to pair Sonos One and a Play:1 previously, and that worked. Maybe those app would allow you to pair the SYMFONISK speakers as well? I can see why that be a nice thing to do if you want surrounds that should “blend in” with your room, with the compromise of a slightly weird surround experience. 

Do note that this is most definitely unsupported and even if it does work now, it might stop working at any moment :). However, seems like it would be a stupid thing to block if people are using it, would never affect anyone who hasn’t deliberately tried to circumvent this limitation.