Answered

Sonos Connect AMP and Powered Speakers (e.g. Audio Engine A5)

• 10 January 2019
  • 7 replies

I just invested in a Sonos Connect:Amp, which I'm successfully using with with a turntable I received as a Christmas gift. I love the setup. I happen to have two Audio Engine A5 powered speakers in the same room connected to my PC that I would love to integrate into a pretty extensive Sonos ecosystem spread across our home. Is there absolutely no way of connecting the two A5's without having to replace the Sonos Connect:Amp with something like a Sonos Connect (no amp)? Any other suggestions to preserve my current investment?
icon

Best answer by ratty 10 January 2019, 10:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It looks like you could connect the passive speaker to your connect, not the powered side. Maybe pop it open and add an AB speaker switch so you could hook it to the Sonos or internal amp?
@RayintheGreatNW

I don't imagine you'd want to butcher your A5s. (I certainly wouldn't take a knife to my A2s.) And separate level control of the A5s would be sacrificed if you were to be so rash.

Google "speaker to line level converter". You should be able to find something to piggy-back on your existing speaker connections. You'd preset the relative volume of the A5s via their own control. Thereafter they'd go up and down with your existing passives.
Thanks for the great idea, Ratty. Sounds like I would simply connect the passive A5 to the active A5 as required by the original setup. I would then connect, via the L and R phono input connections from the active A5 to this adapter. I would then connect speaker wires from the adapter to the Sonos Connect:amp speaker posts. That sound about right?
Yes. Take care when connecting to the C:A's speaker posts to ensure it's set up correctly. The adapter must have independent connections for the L- and R- (as well as for L+ and R+ obviously). You couldn't use any device which has a common ground for the two channels. It could damage the C:A.
Makes total sense! Thank you so much!
One last question, Ratty-I assume that the line converter needs to be rated at a minimum of 55w/Channel (110 watts max)? I'm finding many options below this wattage.
No. The actual converter would draw minimal power from the amp. Remember that whatever it pulls would have to be either passed on to the A5s at line level or dissipated as heat in itself. We're talking fractions of a watt.