sonos connect

• 2 October 2023
  • 9 replies

I want to plug the output from a sonos connect to a quad 33 ( yes very old) pre amp.  I can’t find out what the output is of the connect and if in need to add in an attenuator. 
many ideas please ? What is the output from the connect  

Thank you 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Connect Line-Out to any QUAD input except Phono. No attenuator is required.

Thanks for this but if the volume is increased on the app then won’t it overload the input ??? 
it blew a new Sansui amp earlier 

thanks Buzz 

You’ll need to work out settings of the CONNECT output level and the QUAD Volume control.

Badge +20

The 33 was not originally designed for a CD level input, what you normally do is to modify the “disk” input board to 300mV sensitivity. This involves a handful of components and not a simple switch / jumper.

For clarification please ask over at “Pink Fish Media”

Edit… found this

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/gallery/image/12057/source

True, it was the European custom to use very low levels for “line level” signals, in the range of 0.1V. Then many CD players designed for the rest of the world started using 2.0V outputs. Many Euro gadgets outright distorted or were nearly impossible to control. If you imported a European CD player into the US, its output was very low.

If you cannot manage the situation with Line-Out and QUAD Volume controls, you could resort to adding an external level shifter -- unless you are comfortable modifying the 33.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thanks for this but if the volume is increased on the app then won’t it overload the input ??? 
it blew a new Sansui amp earlier 

thanks Buzz 

A Connect with a high enough output to damage another component is badly broken. A properly working Connect won’t damage any modern equipment, and probably no older gear either.

My quad 34 didn’t have an input for a CD player, so Quad provided me with a DIN lead with some attenuation built in. I have no idea if they still make it, though.

I want to plug the output from a sonos connect to a quad 33 ( yes very old) pre amp.  I can’t find out what the output is of the connect and if in need to add in an attenuator. 
many ideas please ? What is the output from the connect  

Thank you 

What other kit are you using into the preamp? If that is modern kit and it works, so should the Connect. To be cautious here, set the Connect to variable level output and have the volume in the Sonos app for it set to very low and see how that goes. You may need to leave that at low levels and use just the preamp for sound level changes.

PS: Last I checked, Quad UK service is still running with veterans still in place - an even better answer than any of the ones above should be just a phone call away; all they may need to know is that the Connect line out level in fixed mode is very close to that of a modern CD player.

Rob Flain, if memory serves.

Memory serves correctly, and I think that Rob has recently completed 40 years with Quad; I had sent him a Quad CDP from India about twenty years ago for an upgrade that was done free seeing that I was paying big money for the freight…

This below is two years old and may well be still valid: