Sonos and the FCC

• 24 December 2017
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

So, this isn't really an "Advanced Setup", but there are many who enjoy keeping up on Sonos and whatever their newest products are by going through the FCC database, and we tend to be "advanced" users. As a result, I thought I'd post this list of FCC IDs registered to Sonos. I will do what I can to keep this list current over time.

Notably missing from this list are the Connect:Amp (ZP120), Connect (ZP90), and first generation Play:5. The RM000, RM001, and RM002 wireless cards were certified to be modular RF components, so they could be used in multiple devices without those devices needing separate FCC IDs. I assume this is why specific FCC IDs were not created for these three Sonos devices.

I don't know why there are two Play:1 models with different FCC IDs, though some sites elsewhere on the internet have identified one as being for China.

Grantee Code: SBV - Sonos Inc.

FCCID - Product name/model

RM038 - S38/One SL (per FCC Product Markings image)
RM027 - S27/Roam
RM026 - S26/Sub v2
RM024 - S24/Five
RM023 - S23/Port
RM019 - S19/Arc
RM017 - S17/Move
RM016 - S22/One SL
RM015 - S16/Amp
RM014 - S14/Beam
RM013 - S15/Connect (updated wireless card from Mini PCI to Mini PCIe, unknown if other changes)
RM012 - S13/Sonos One
RM011 - S11/Playbase
RM010 - S100/Play:5 Gen2
RM009 - Play:1
RM008 - Boost
RM007 - Play:1
RM006 - Playbar
RM005 - Sub
RM004 - Play:3
RM002 - Wireless Mini-PCI Card (WMP-N06; considered to be Sonos original equipment)
RM001 - Wireless Mini-PCI Card (RM001; Alpha Networks WMP-N06)
RM000 - Wireless Mini-PCI Card (RM000; Cameo Communications WLG-1304)

CR003 - CR200
CR002 - Wireless Mini-PCI Card (Atheros AR5BMB5)
CR001 - CR100
CR000 - Wireless Mini-PCI Card (Foxconn T60H786)

ZP002 - ZP80
ZP001 - ZP100
ZP000 - Wireless Mini-PCI Card (Samsung SWL-2700M)

BR000 - Bridge

DK001 - Dock for iPod (30 pin connector)

Non-Sonos products with Sonos technology
FHO-E1776 - IKEA SYMFONISK Lamp + Speaker, Sonos S20
FHO-E1801- IKEA Bookshelf Speaker

Edit: Last Updated 2/5/2021

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So mike your saying the original Connect got the rm13 designation or are you thinking a new superconnect?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
The S13 *is* the Sonos One, that is how it is named in its device xml file. S15 is the not-yet-released Connect (due in March).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Interesting I hadn’t seen anything on the yet to be released Connect before.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yeah, they're doing a refresh of the Connect, likely to move away from the old modular wireless card (internal pictures from the FCC show a Mini PCIe card now inside). Refreshing the Connect gives them the flexibility to use the same Mini PCIe card in the Connect that is used in the other speakers, instead of the old Mini PCI card. Though it's still only certified for 2.4 GHz, so even if they are using the same wireless card as the speakers, they're not using the 5 GHz radio in it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Shame no 5ghz. That dashes all hopes of it being a super Connect (able to pair multiple speakers into 5.1)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Updated to add RM014, the new "Home Theater Speaker" device that hit the FCC database on 4/30.

Updated again 8/3/18 to add the S14 model designation for the Beam
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Updated 10/30/18 to add RM015/Amp to the list
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Updated 1/3/19 to add SBV-RM016, the S18 "Satellite" speaker.
Userlevel 4
IKEA SYMPHONISK devices.

Bookshelf speaker: https://fccid.io/FHO-E1801
Table Lamp: https://fccid.io/FHO-E1776

In addition, the detail of the table lamp filings suggest that the electronics are those of a Play:1, and that Sonos's internal product code is S20:

https://fccid.io/FHO-E1776/Letter/Sonos-FCC-E1776-AuthorizationLetter-4235685
https://fccid.io/FHO-E1776/Label/E1776-SYMFONISK-Markings-4235693 (page 4)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thanks for the info! I've updated the first post to include "Non-Sonos products with Sonos technology" in them. I did that since those kinds of items will fall under other companies' FCC "Grantee ID" codes, rather than under Sonos'.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
FCC shared the Sonos "S22" yesterday, based on the S18. Unclear what the difference is to me.
Due to lack of personal bandwidth I have not been following these releases closely. Are there any Bluetooth radios lurking in the recent units?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Just Bluetooth Low Energy, looking at the power output levels (below 1mw).

Devices with BLE are...
  • S14/Beam
  • S16/Amp
  • S18/S22 "satellite speaker"
S18/S22... this is a speaker that was originally granted an FCC ID at the end of December. At that time it was identified as S18, and its short term confidentiality period expires June 29th. In April it was granted a change, and appears to now be identified as S22. The confidentiality period on the changed documents will expire in October. As long as the changed documents don't cause removal of the original ones, we might have more info on this in a couple of weeks.

It's possible that S18/22 could be the One v2, as there isn't any Sonos speaker in the database with pictures that look like the One v2 that also has BLE. The One v2 does have BLE. The original One did not have BLE.

Oddly, as new as the IKEA speakers are, they don't have BLE in them.
That is odd. Perhaps as a cost-cutting measure, to meet the price point required by IKEA? I've no idea what the cost is of a BLE system would be.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Updated to add the recently revealed S17 and S23 devices.

Also, with the S18 changing to S22, it appears that updated confidentiality was applied to everything following that change, so none of the S18 info was released when the first confidentiality date passed (which would have been June 12). With the updated grant for S22 being in May, we won't know what will carry this model number until November, or whenever the product finds its way to stores, whatever it may be.
Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Updated to add the recently revealed S17 and S23 devices.

Also, with the S18 changing to S22, it appears that updated confidentiality was applied to everything following that change, so none of the S18 info was released when the first confidentiality date passed (which would have been June 12). With the updated grant for S22 being in May, we won't know what will carry this model number until November, or whenever the product finds its way to stores, whatever it may be.

S17 is the new Sonos Move

S23 is the new Sonos Port

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Updated to mark S22 as One SL and S17 as Move (S17 pictures release in a week or two, but the Bluetooth power levels as indicated in the FCC info line up with Move’s Bluetooth capability). Also marked S23 as Port.

Found these new listings.…

https://fccid.io/SBVRM019

https://fccid.io/SBVRM024

Any thoughts from those who are better at parsing this data than I?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Nothing obvious that i can see, except PIN Support! Every device is going to have a PIN printed on the bottom, so some form of network security is going to be available, at least for newer devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Edited to add RM026. aka Sub v2 (based on the FCC ID label in the filing identifying it as a Sub).

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

S24 = Five, S19 = Arc… updated the list.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

S27 appeared today, headphones by the looks of it to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Added RM027/S27, a currently unknown device

More speculation around S27 here:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/5/22269050/sonos-fcc-filing-mini-move-portable-bluetooth-speaker