Answered

Sonos and Plex connection

• 29 January 2024
  • 5 replies

I have 7 Sonos speakers (1 Play 3, 4 Play 1s, 2 Ones), a Connect for my stereo, and a Boost.  The Boost is wired by ethernet cord to my Unifi Mesh network.  I keep my music stored on a Synology NAS with a Plex database on it.  My music collection is large and I have outgrown the ability to use the Sonos Music library and the Apple music limitations, so I have turned to Plex.  I can play music seamlessly from Apple Music on the Sonos App, but the Plex connection is frequently “lost” while trying to play music from Plex on the sonos App or thru Plexamp.  I’ve been on the phone multiple times with Sonos and run diagnostics and they don’t see any problems.  I can play music on my phone with Plexamp at home and anywhere I travel with no issues.  I don’t know if I am missing any settings on my wifi network or what.  I’d love to get some insight from others facing similar issues

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 31 January 2024, 00:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I’ve had similar reliability issues. Works sometimes. Though I have good success casting Plex Amp to Sonos from my phone. 

Here’s the Plex requirements for Sonos, but I think you describe the main requirements (Plex pass and remote access)
https://support.plex.tv/articles/218237558-requirements-for-using-plex-for-sonos/

I’ve had similar reliability issues. Works sometimes. Though I have good success casting Plex Amp to Sonos from my phone. 

Here’s the Plex requirements for Sonos, but I think you describe the main requirements (Plex pass and remote access)
https://support.plex.tv/articles/218237558-requirements-for-using-plex-for-sonos/

Thanks for your reply.  Looking at that link, I have all those things set up, but not sure about NAT Loopback.  initial review of wifi network looks like it may be default setting.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Thanks for your reply.  Looking at that link, I have all those things set up, but not sure about NAT Loopback.  initial review of wifi network looks like it may be default setting.

You almost certainly have nat loop back on your router but wouldn’t hurt to verify for sure. 

IIRC Plex would not work on Sonos if NAT loop-back was not supported by the router.

I seem to think though it’s recommended that UPnP auto port-forwarding may need to be enabled on some routers, even if the Plex port forwarding has been manually setup by the user.

In my case I use Plex servers at two different locations. At Home I need UPnP enabled on the router (Plex port 32400 is manually forwarded), but at the other location UPnP is switched off on the router and is not required.

So perhaps explore those things with your router to see if that may make a difference. Leaving UPnP disabled is arguably more secure of course.

IIRC Plex would not work on Sonos if NAT loop-back was not supported by the router.

I seem to think though it’s recommended that UPnP auto port-forwarding may need to be enabled on some routers, even if the Plex port forwarding has been manually setup by the user.

In my case I use Plex servers at two different locations. At Home I need UPnP enabled on the router (Plex port 32400 is manually forwarded), but at the other location UPnP is switched off on the router and is not required.

So perhaps explore those things with your router to see if that may make a difference. Leaving UPnP disabled is arguably more secure of course.

Thanks, I’ll check that out