Answered

SONOS and ORBI WIFI 6 (AX)

• 5 March 2020
  • 2 replies

Has anyone had any success in setting up a wifi only environment with the ORBI WIFI 6 router and mesh system 

I am trying to set up the MOVE and I can’t get it 

Is there some workaround to the 5ghz issues as I believe the Orbi only broadcasts in that space

Thank you

Peter

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 5 March 2020, 22:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi 

I don’t own an ORBI Wi-Fi 6 (AX). However I can say that it does broadcast 2.4GHz x 1 and 5Ghz x 2 bands according to documentation.

My guess is that the bands are not separated with different SSID’s to allow you to chose the 2.4GHz for Sonos. There should be documentation with the router on how to setup a unique SSID for all three bands so that you can select the proper one for Sonos. The other option to look for is a way to turn off Smart Connect (i.e stop the system from auto-selecting bands for clients)

Also know that 802.11ax is still in it’s infant stages and has been known to cause problems with legacy clients (i.e. those that operate under 802.11ac). In truth if you don’t have clients that can utilize the 802.11ax speed its sort of a waste of money. The overall coverage isn’t going to improve vs using a Mesh system whose top speed is 802.11ac. I’m just saying….:smirk:

If you can’t isolate the bands or continue to have issues you might try contacting Sonos Tech support.

Cheers!

PBELS13,

I think it would be worth ensuring that the Orbi 5ghz and 2.4ghz WiFi bands each have different SSID names, as mentioned, as other posts in the main Sonos community here, have mentioned this particular issue previously with the Orbi system.

This YouTube video explains how to easily separate the two Orbi WiFi bands:

https://youtu.be/tEgVG8rR5o8

After band separation, personally speaking, I would choose to go down the route of wiring just one Sonos product to the main Orbi hub, fix and separate apart (by at least 5 channels) the 2.4ghz WiFi and SonosNet channels, so that there is no overlap (use channels 1, 6, 11 to do this) ...and remove any stored WiFi credentials from the Sonos App,that’s if they are stored in “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” (it probably won’t apply, but I have mention this removal of credentials, just in case.)  ... that should then provide a stable Sonos system and Orbi WiFi network platform around the home.

For good measure, I would also consider adding all the Sonos IP addresses to the networks DHCP Servers Reservation Table.

Hope your able to easily understand and perhaps follow these network/system suggestions.👍