Answered

Sonos Amp Connection to HDMI Switch Setup Help

• 28 July 2019
  • 8 replies

I have an LG tv with an HDMI arc. This tv sits in the kitchen. The Sonos Amp and cable box sit in a cabinet in the next room. I have access to the tv's hdmi cable that is plugged into the TV's hdmi arc port. The Sonos Amp is connected to two ceiling speakers in the kitchen. I want to be able to connect my cable box to the TV in the kitchen and have sound come through the two ceiling speakers.

I purchased a 3 x1 HDMI switch. I hooked the tv hdmi cable that is connected to the HDMI arc port on the tv to the HDMI output on the switch. I have the cable box connected to an HDMI input channel. I have the Sonos amp connected to a different HDMI channel.

Obviously this set up isn't correct, as the cable tv sound is not coming thru the ceiling speakers.

What do I need to do to get my cable tv sound to play through the ceiling speakers? Do I need an HDMI switch with arc? I don't have any Sonos soundbar connected to the TV.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 July 2019, 04:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Is that switch you purchased HDMI-ARC capable? If not, that would be a good reason why your speakers have no sound.

What I would do, in your current case, at least as a test, is connect an HDMI cable from the TV's HDMI-ARC port to the Sonos Amp. That will carry the sound from the TV to the Sonos.

Then take all inputs (cable box, DVD player, whatever) and connect the HDMI cables from the device to the HDMI switch's inputs. Finally, a single HDMI cable from the switch's out to your TV's other HDMI port (2, 3, any of them except the one labled HDMI-ARC.

Tune the TV to that particular HDMI input and play something on the TV. You should now be able to hear all of your TV on the speakers connected to the Sonos Amp.

If you wanted to spend more money, you could get an HDMI-ARC enabled switch, but if the above works, I wouldn't make the effort. I just think you haven't got everything cabled properly right now. Something I can understand, since I've been in similar situations 🙂
That's super helpful. I like the idea of a test, however, it will be difficult for me to complete that test.

My Sonos amp with the wiring for my speakers and all my inputs sit in a different room from my tv. I only have access to one hdmi cable from my tv near my sonos amp and cable box. Since I don't want to pay a professional to wire another HDMI cable from my tv in the kitchen to the other room, it sounds like my best, and probably cheaper, bet would be to purchase an HDMI-ARC capable switch.

I guess I could also put a purchase a Playbar and connect it to the TV via the optical cord, but that seems like it would be more expensive than the HDMI-ARC capable switch.
I'd think an HDMI-ARC switch would be much cheaper, but I've never looked in to one.

Just remember, the device that is creating the ARC part of an HDMI-ARC connection is the TV, and not any of the other devices. The signal has to get to the TV, where the audio gets "reflected" back along the ARC pins on the HDMI cable.

You cable box, or DVD player, etc, don't send an HDMI-ARC signal. Your TV takes an HDMI signal, and creates the ARC part of it, and sends it back along an HDMI cable to an HDMI-ARC capable device.

Did anyone find a decent HDMI Arc switch ?

Are there any other wires running between the TV and the closet the amp and cable box is in?

I wish.  Just one HDMI cable :( 

What you want to do is get an hdmi splitter not switch. Take hdmi from cable box and run to input side of splitter. The hdmi from 1 output of splitter to sonos amp , then another hdmi from second output of splitter to tv . Should not be any more complicated than that. To clarify that will be a splitter. 1 input ,multiple outputs.

That wouldn’t work. Your cable box does not output an ARC signal, which is what the AMP is looking for. That kind of signal is created by the electronics in the TV itself. Or, an HDFury Arcana device, as discussed here.