Question

Sharp lc-43ub30u ARC and Beam

• 4 August 2019
  • 5 replies

Hello,

My Sharp TV supports HDMI-ARC. I connected the HDMI cable from the Beam HDMI port to the only port on my TV that is enabled for ARC.
I also enabled in the TV menu the Aquos Link support and enabled ARC

When setting up the Beam, the test CEC connection doesn’t pass.
CEC is mentioned nowhere in the Sharp user manual.

Please help, otherwise I’ll have to return the Beam. Using only Alexa or the Sonos phone app to control TV volume is not an option for me.

Cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You've confused me. How do you know that your TV supports HDMI-ARC, if it's not mentioned in the Sharp User Manual?

Does this TV have an optical out, in addition to HDMI-ARC? Could you connect the optical cable from the TV to the adapter that came with the Beam, and get the sound to the Beam in that fashion?
Also, I'm looking for a manual to confirm what Sharp calls HDMI-CEC, and have already run into a page that indicates that there are firmware updates for the TV. Have you applied them?
Look at section 6-1 of the manual, where they state:

Using the HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) protocol, with LINK Operation you can
interactively operate compatible system equipment (Blu-ray disc equipment, AV amplifier,
DVD).
To access this function: Initial Setup > Advanced > AQUOS LINK Setup > AQUOS LINK
Control.
Already have applied latest firmware, setup Aquos Link and enabled ARC, before posting this question. No success. CEC connection test fails.

I have setup the IR control for volume, so at least now I can do what I wanted
The only suggestion I have for the CEC issue is to unplug the TV from the wall for a minute, then plug it back in. That's the only way I know to force a reset of the HDMI-CEC system. If you just turn off the TV with the remote, it doesn't actually reboot HDMI-CEC.

And to be honest, while the TV's unplugged, it wouldn't hurt to unplug the Beam as well. Plug the Beam back in to the wall first, wait a minute for it to load its firmware, then plug in the TV to power. That way both will be "clean".