Answered

Several speakers in open plan room

• 22 March 2018
  • 5 replies

I have a Play 5 and a Play 1 in a large kitchen diner, needed so that people in either part of the room can easily hear what is playing, especially with radio. As these speakers are always used together it would be ideal to be able to set them up as a fixed group, any ideas? I am sure this is a fairly common scenario.
Roger
icon

Best answer by Kumar 22 March 2018, 13:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

There isn't a way to do that such that the grouping will survive mains power cycling. But unless that cycling is done, they will remain grouped; and they are designed to be left alway on.
I am sorry but I am not sure I understand your reply. These speakers are always switched on and connected to the same mains circuit. All We want to do is to create them as a group with a name. In this setting I would be happy to have two identical Sonos speakers as a mono pair. Having invested a lot in a Sonos system including a sound bar woofer etc I am becomeing increasingly frustrated by the need to use a tablet or phone to make simple adjustments and to listen to our regular radio stations! I think I will revert to my FM reciever switched to mono and feeding a speaker at each end od our living space.
If you group the speakers and use the tablet to start them playing a station, you can stop/restart the group by pressing just the relevant button on any speaker; completely eliminating the use of the tablet/phone isn't possible though. If that is desired, sell the Sonos speakers and replace them.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
You may not want to buy any further units, but if you were to buy a further Play 5 or Play 1 you could create a stereo pair (of Play 5s or Play 1s - be careful also to make sure they are the same generation). This would allow you to have both speakers playing as a single "Room".

As Kumar is suggesting, it is possible to group your existing speakers so that you can play the same music onto both (and control volumes separately). What you seem to be looking for, if I understand you correctly, is the ability to creat a virtual, single "Room". This is something that has often been asked for, but which Sonos doesn't support.

Hope that helps.

T
Thanks for your thoughts, I have tried that with a speaker from another but the room is long and we use the sonos mostly for BbC 4 radio the stereo effect is a bit distracting. We do usually leave the speakers grouped and playing radio 4 but it is a nuisance if we forget to and then need to find a device to do this.
My wife prefers to switch on our ancient Roberts radio instead!