Question

Setup

• 10 October 2020
  • 3 replies

I have a Sonos Arc, Sub and 2 Amps (one for front speakers, one for rear speakers) in my Greatroom.

Can the Sonos system be configured so that when i am watching TV the Sonos Arc, Sub and 1 Amp (rear speakers) are activate. Then when i want to listen to music i want both Amps for front and rear speakers and the Sub, no Arc?

The Amp for the rear speakers is the common element between the two configurations, can i link the sub that the rear speaker Amp so that the Sub will be available for both configurations?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @DSteve, thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Sonos Community. I appreciate you for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this.

Yes, you can change the setup in a few minutes on the Sonos app on your home theater setup with the Sonos Arc, Amp (surround), and Sub.

If you want to watch TV and play music at the same time, you need to remove the Sonos Amp as surround and in the home theater set up. 
Your Sonos Amp will be in a separate room. This can be done in less than 10 minutes. After removing the surround, you can group your Sonos Amp to the other Amp to play the same music.
You can also remove the Sub from the home theater setup and add it to the Amp.

Re-setting up your home theater, you just need to add back your Sonos Amp and Sub.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Basically i have to reconfigure my Sonos system every time i swap from listening to music to tv or vice verse.

That's far from ideal and certainly not practical for the other users in my household.

They have no interest in reconfiguring the system, they just want to be able to listen to music or watch TV.

My family are ok grouping but not going to the settings every time to switch from music setup to tv setup.

There really needs to be a way to group the rear surround speakers (Amp) with the Sub which can then be linked to Arc to watch TV. Then ungroup the Arc and group with the front speakers (Amp) to listen to music.

Moving the Sub around in the configuration is NOT user friendly and a major weakness in the Sonos system in my opinion.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @DSteve, thank you for your response and we appreciate your feedback on this.

When Sonos speakers are set up as home theater, they will be in one room, and to group the rear surround with the Sub, you need to remove them from the setup to group with the other Amp.

We can also wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community users for the setup that they may suggest. 

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

You're always welcome here.