Answered

Samsung tv,Sonos Beam, dolby digital - HELP!!

• 19 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Wondering if someone can please explain what I need to do to get Dolby digital setting on my samsung tv. The Dolby digital option is greyed out and won’t let me change to anything only thing it allows me to select is pcm. I’m using a beam and 2x play ones in the about my sonos section of the app it says my audio input is stereo. There doesn’t seem to be a way for me to change my tv settings, when I try and change them on my Xbox it says to make sure my receiver is able to support (5.1 uncompressed) and when I change my sky a settings to Dolby digital the sound from the soundbar stops. I seem to only be able to receive stereo with this beam and it’s very frustrating
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 19 December 2018, 21:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

On the Samsung TV, the dolby digital option is greyed out whenever what is currently playing on the TV is not formatted in dolby digital. it should switch automatically whenever the audio source is DD 5.1. If I remember correctly, the xbox audio setting should be set to bitstream. I have this setup myself (xbox-> Samsung TV -> Beam) and it works great.

The Sky box is another matter, as I don't have one and couldn't tell you the proper settings. I would think dobly digital is correct.

FYI, a good way to confirm that the Beam is getting DD 5.1 or Stereo (PCM) is to open the Sonos app go to More then About Sonos. Listed under your Beam, you can see what audio format is currently playing.
When I open the app it says I’m getting stereo. That’s the issue I’ve got I can’t change the setting on my tv to Dolby digital
Start upstream. The device (the skybox) that is feeding the television has to be sending it Dolby Digital. Once the TV is receiving it via HDMI, it will then show it as an option in the TV's audio settings, as melvimbe explained.