Answered

Running itunes from a MyCloud NAS drive

• 9 February 2024
  • 9 replies

I use a WDMyCloud drive as a music server for my collection of digitised vinyl and also for iTunes. Recently I recopied my iTunes folder to it and I can no longer get Sonos to recognise it.

I copied the entire folder including subfolders (iTunes Music, Album Artwork etc.) and library files directly from my MacBook to  /Public/Shared Music on the WD drive, not from iTunes, and set the path in Sonos Preferences to //WDMyCloud/Public/Shared Music/iTunes

After a few minutes updating I get a window telling me that the files are not available.

I guess either the path is wrong/incomplete, or there is a problem with the iTunes folder, but from there on I’m in the dark rather!!

What am I doing wrong?? I would be most grateful fo any suggestions .

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 10 February 2024, 15:33

View original

9 replies

Badge +1

I am no expert but have the same set up. Re-check the pathway address.

Also I know my iTunes artwork does not work on Sonos unless I physically put the artwork into each folder.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The pathway is as I listed it and it worked before the update. I have reentered it several times in case I got something wrong, but no luck. The same pathway works for my vinyl collections with the folder title instead of /itunes. The only difference since my last update is that I have moved from S1 to S2.

Any thoughts / ideas ??

S1 requires SMB v1. S2 requires SMB v2 or v3, to my knowledge. Make sure you’ve made that adjustment within the WD myCloud software. 

Thanks for the suggestion Bruce.

How /where do I set up SMB v2 for the WD MyCloud ? I see nowhere to do this under settings for firmware or network, where I have DHCP on SSH off and FTP off. My WD cloud is quite old, running on firmware v04.06.00-111 : Core F/W.

This was all working after I changed to S2 and I can add new paths to my vinyl collection which work. Its just theiTunes folder that seems to be the problem, or is it??

Sorry, you’d need to either look at the manual, or call WD support. I’ve gotten rid of my MyCloud device in favor of another NAS. 

I do have this reference, though, perhaps it may be of some use:

There is an extensive discussion about how to set up SMB v1 in this thread.

Many thanks again Bruce, but this looks like a Windows issue, whereas I am on Macs. I have no problem accessing my music folder or adding new folders to it, but Sonos is not happy with my iTunes folder for some reason…

SMB has to do with the Linux kernel that runs on your Sonos system being able to reach the data residing on your NAS. There is no desktop OS involved here, nothing is running through Windows or MacOS. 

Thanks again Bruce,

Looks like my WDMyCloud is pre 2022 and so unfortunately no longer supported by Western Digital and their firmware. So no doubt why I can see no way to set up SMB. However, I can set up and view access folders on it that Sonos can see, so I guess I will just have to do some reconstruction work.

Thanks for trying though.

And that is why I dumped my old WD…

While they seemed to make good equipment, at least when I bought it, their support lagged. They stopped supporting the plug in they had for Sonos as well, and some of their cheaper NAS products didn’t allow you access to SMB settings.

I absolutely love their Hard Drives. I’m fallen out of love with their NAS products.