Question

request for sonos to modify software to link connect amps

• 8 December 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
i have a multi zone sonos wired system. i have speakers on the patio and would like a bit more power out there. it would be great if sonos would update the software so u can "channel" the power of amps to power one set of speakers .. thoughts ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

If you're talking about putting the CONNECT:AMP into bridged (mono) mode, the amp circuitry is evidently not suitable.
Typical solution for this is to use a Connect and an AudioSource Amp200 or Amp300 in bridged mode. These amps (also available rebranded under various other labels) can be bridged to provide the mono amplification you are looking for and in bridged mode also properly sum the left and right input from the Connect. They also have auto on/off circuitry so they will power up only when there is a signal present from the Connect.
Userlevel 1
Badge
what i was hoping to do was to connect a couple of connect amps to send the combined power to one set of speakers. on the controller it would be good if u had the choice when grouping rooms to be able to decide which room to send the power to

ie have connect amp in kitchen and a connect amp for patio . i want to group both of them but sound to play only in patio. i assume two connect amps would enable louder sounds from the set of speakers

maybe i should have bought lots of amps and just sonos connects
Userlevel 1
Badge
would prefer to utilise all the "unused" power in my system than having to buy another amp
The Connect:Amps send their amplified signal out via the speakers lines to each individual speaker. There is no way to take that amplified signal and somehow channel it to another Connect:Amp to add power to the second Connect:Amp's speakers. As ratty said, the traditional way of doing this would be to bridge the two amps, which you cannot do. As to doing it via some other way, the only connection between the two Connect:Amps is wireless or Ethernet, and there is no way to transfer full powered output over a wireless (or even Ethernet) connection, regardless of what Tesla dreamed up.
Userlevel 1
Badge
ok damn .. worth an ask