Question

Replacing faulty Netgear router with Unifi Security Gateway router - question on Spanning Tree Protocol (STP)

• 20 November 2017
  • 1 reply

Badge
Hi. I have 17 Zone players at my house. We are in the process of replacing our NetGear router due to a malfunction with a UniFi security gateway (Router) and a UniFi switch (24 port). My question relates to the switch and if it will support STP. Currently I have a PLAY-5 wired to the router as well two Connect-AMPS I use for Bose speakers in the basement. My setup has been working flawlessly for several years with the NetGear router and switches. I dont have much experience with Ubiquiti products or their gateways & switches. I may have to connect just one Play-5 directly to the router and let this player start SONOSNET. If anyone has any experience with UniFi products and can share any setup issues etc that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
In general I would turn on STP for all hard wired SONOS products. I have a similar configuration running with multiple Dell PowerConnect 28xx Managed Switches. We have moved into a new house and I need to replace the Dell switches due to port failures. I have purchased some TP-LINK T2500G and T2600G Managed Ethernet Switches as replacements.

The two existing DELL 28xx switches have STP enabled for all ports connected to SONOS. In addition I have STP turned on for the ports that connect the two switches together.

My plan is to configure the TP-LINK switches the same way and replace the DELL 28xx switches.

SONOS Equipment

2 - Connect Amp
1 - BOOST
3 - Play 5 Generation 1
1 - Playbar
1 - ZP80
1 - ZP100