Replace Yamaha receiver with Sonos amp

• 19 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I am currently running a Yamaha rx-a1050 receiver for my zone 1 surround sound with the zone 2 output connected to a Yamaha r-s201 receiver. I would like to replace the zone 2 r-s201 receiver with a sonos amp. I connected a Sonos amp temporarily to make sure it could power my zone 2 speakers and it worked great, EXCEPT when I went to “party mode” on the main rx-a1050 receiver I could not get the music to play in-sync between the 2 zones like i could with both Yamaha receivers. There was a 1 to 2 second lag. Any thoughts on how to correct this and play music in unison when I switch out zone 2 to a sonos amp?

3 replies

Audio input into the Sonos amp via the RCA input is always going to be buffered.  This is required in order wirelessly sync with other Sonos speakers and devinces over a network.  You can reduce this a bit in the settings, but likely not enough to get a good sync if the two zones are in the same room.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4838?language=en_US

What’s the reason for removing your second yamaha receiver?  Asking because a Sonos Port, or Port + Amp may be better a solution for you.

Thanks so much Danny. Yes, the 2 zones are in the same room so doesn’t sound like I can switch out the second receiver for a Sonos amp and get the same unison result.

Fyi, I’m looking to switch out the second Yamaha receiver for a Sonos amp to save space (the Yamaha receiver is 4 times the size of a Sonos amp) and for better zone 2 control…IE. While I can turn zone 2 control on/off remotely, I have to physically walk over to the second Yamaha receiver to turn it on/off.

Thanks for your help. 

I’m looking to replace the Yamaha receiver for so I can have better control. Currently I have to physically turn on the Yamaha receiver as opposed to the Sonos amp being on through wifi. The sonos amp is also 25% the size.