Regarding ethernet switch to coax router

• 29 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +4
Hello,I've gone from DSL to coax, and it's like the new coax router can't communicate with my ethernet switches.It is primarily the connection to the a Sonos speaker and for a Nokia Streaming Box 8000 that is having problems.The router is a Technicolor CGA4233. My ethernet switch is a TP-Link TL-SG105Do some settings on the router need to be changed?Does it require something more from an ethernet switch for it to work with a coax router?Does a network switch have to support certain functions in order for it to work with a coax router?I am considering buying a new ethernet switch - e.g. as below. Will that help anything?Maybe I should also change the cable between the router and the ethernet switch to cat 7? TP-Link TL-SG1005PThanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge +4

I have just read that Sonos can create a multicast / broadcast storm. Maybe it would be better if I connect Sonos via WiFi instead.

Do you think it would help if I changed the ethernet cable between the router and the switch to cat 7?

You’re asking about network switch connections on a Sonos community site?

The only feedback I have is that Network storms can occur if two or more Sonos devices are connected to a managed switch, if the switch is unmanaged, it should properly handle the situation. 

Sonos wouldn’t be able to know the difference between a CAT-5, CAT-6 or CAT-7 cable. It deals with data, and at a relatively slow rate at that. All Sonos Ethernet ports are 10\100, not gigabit ports. 

I don’t expect that you’ll have any trouble with those switches. You should have rebooted everything after changing routers.