Question about networking - ethernet

• 11 December 2022
  • 10 replies

Hello! 

I am someone who tends to plug an Ethernet cord into a device if it has an Ethernet port. I’m planning on picking up some Sonos speakers, and since they have Ethernet ports, I was going to wire them all up without a second thought. Then I read online about how they create their own Sonosnet and that wiring multiple up can cause STP issues. I really have no idea what STP is. I have two eero 6 pros and one eero 6. Just wondering if I still should wire them all up, or just leave them on wifi.

Thanks in advance. 

10 replies

Wire one to your router main hub.

As you have a mesh network you should wire one Sonos device to the primary Eero device.

This may depend on your exact setup but should be OK. 

As you have a mesh network you should wire one Sonos device to the primary Eero device.

So I shouldn’t wire all of them? (Any that I did wire would be wired to the primary eero device anyway)

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have my arc wired to my primary eero 6 pro the rest are all on sonosnet apart from my moves and roams all work well 👍

So I shouldn’t wire all of them? (Any that I did wire would be wired to the primary eero device anyway)

I don’t think there would be any harm in doing this, and all things being equal, wired gives the most robust connection.  I assume they would be connected via a switch?

“STP issues” can result when more than one Sonos device is wired, although in the vast majority of cases they won’t.  You can get a “network storm” if data can find routes to loop around the network.  You might as well try wiring more than one device - if you get a network storm your whole network will crash so you will know it has happened!  There is no permanent harm.  Just go back to one wired Sonos device.

You would probably find that Sonos is rock solid with just one wired device, as has been the experience of @skullc 

I don’t think there would be any harm in doing this, and all things being equal, wired gives the most robust connection.  I assume they would be connected via a switch?

“STP issues” can result when more than one Sonos device is wired, although in the vast majority of cases they won’t.  You can get a “network storm” if data can find routes to loop around the network.  You might as well try wiring more than one device - if you get a network storm your whole network will crash so you will know it has happened!  There is no permanent harm.  Just go back to one wired Sonos device.

You would probably find that Sonos is rock solid with just one wired device, as has been the experience of @skullc 

Yes, they’d be through a switch (realistically, multiple switches. I already have 4 network switches)

I may try them all, and go back to one If it breaks.  Does it matter which one? I hear people using a Soundbar as the Ethernet one, which I don’t have, but may add later. Would/should I switch it to the Soundbar after I get it or can I leave it on whatever random one I already use?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Don’t use a Sub or Surround as your Ethernet connection.

I wired all my non-Sub/Surround Sonos that were easy to wire and it is working fine.

I recommend wiring as many units as is practical. With respect to network switches, ”unmananged” switches rarely cause STP issues while “managed” switches can be configured to deal with STP.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I recommend wiring as many units as is practical. With respect to network switches, ”unmanenged” switches rarely cause STP issues while “managed” switches can be configured to deal with STP.

Buzz, I am going to have to disagree with your statement that unmanaged switches rarely cause issues with STP. I purchased my first SONOS when they first came out and ran into major STP issues when using an unmanaged switch to connect multiple wired SONOS devices. I spent hours on the phone attempting to resolve the issue. The caveats to using unmanaged switches is that it must properly support BPDU propagation which a lot of switches do not support.

I worked with “Ratty” many times in the early days and finally settled on purchasing a managed switch that I knew supported STP and RSTP. and configuring them according to the suggestions on the SONOS website. Almost all of SONOS components are wired with the exception of one Play 5 and three One’s.

PCLMAN58,

I remember your struggle. There are two unmanaged switches and a managed switch in my network and I’m not having issues. Most of my SONOS units are wired. All of my SONOS units go through at least one unmanaged switch, some go through both unmanaged switches. The access point supporting my SONOS wireless units goes through one of the unmanaged switches.

I don’t want to say that all unmanaged switches will work.