Answered

Powered Analog Sub with Sonos Connect

• 13 May 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge +1
My current setup for surround is a Playbase for the front with 2 Ones as the rear speakers but no sub. I’d like to use my powered analog Yamaha sub to complete everything and am considering the Connect (not the Connect Amp) Will this work?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 13 May 2019, 21:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

No, this won't work. The Connect isn't designed for use with a powered sub, and because it be bonded with your playbase, it won't be a part of the same room. You could group the Connect with the playbase, but when playing TV audio, the Connect would lag behind slightly, creating an echo effect.
Badge +1
So it’s a Sonos Sub or do without?
For use with the playbase, yes. You can use a 3rd party sub with the Amp. You could also use the Connect to bring in a 3rd party amp/receiver with your powered ub.
Badge +1
So the Connect Amp will work in my scenario, just not the Connect? Can the Connect Amp be setup without a wired connection to my router? Currently all my devices are currently on the Boost network.
So the Connect Amp will work in my scenario, just not the Connect? Can the Connect Amp be setup without a wired connection to my router? Currently all my devices are currently on the Boost network.

No, the Connect:amp won't work in your scenario either. The Connect:amp can be used to power rear surround speakers, bonded with your playbase, but when it's used this way, you can't also connect a 3rd party sub to it. (yes, the Connect:amp must be wired for this) As a stand alone room, you can use a 3rd party sub, but that wouldn't work with your TV.

On the other hand, the Sonos Amp can connect to your TV directly (no playbase) and you would then be able to use a 3rd party sub. If you used the Sonos amp for rear surround same as above, then no, can't use 3rd party sub.

It sounds complicated, I know, but the basics is that when it comes to TV audio, you have to use a Sonos amp or a Connect +3rd party amp. If you're using a Sonos amp or Connect:amp for rear surround, the sub port is cut off.
Badge +1
Danny, thanks for all the help. It saved me from buying something I would have been unhappy with. I went ahead and found a used Sonos sub to save $$. They’re not easy to find! 😎
Glad you found what you're looking for!