Question

Please add delay option to Sonos One

• 20 December 2018
  • 6 replies

Would you consider adding a delay option to the Sonos One? My ZP90 hooked up to my Sony STR-DN1080 receiver outputs sound around 10-20ms behind the Sonos One. I understand that this is likely due to some processing in my receiver, but I can't get rid of it, even on direct or pure modes. Thus, there is no solution except getting a new receiver, or having Sonos enable a delay option under the advanced settings on the Sonos One so that I can delay its output slightly. Therefore, please add a delay option to Sonos One Room Settings/Advanced Room. Very few people will dig that far into the app and mess things up unless they need to tweak it, which I assume is your concern and why you don't give us the option. Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm surprised you can detect a sync delay of 10-20ms. Sound only travels ~3.5-7m in that time, so distance from the speakers is likely to introduce as great an effect.
That might be part of the curse of why I pursue higher end audio products... I detect it most when I'm equidistant between the speakers in my bathroom and living room (which unfortunately is my kitchen where I want to hear it from both sources). I couldn't tell for sure which it was at first, but I can delay the sound from my receiver in 10ms increments. That just makes it worse, and there's no way to accelerate it from the receiver. So it must be the Sonos One that's outputting the sound before the receiver, right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So it must be the Sonos One that's outputting the sound before the receiver, right?
The output from the CONNECT should be in perfect synchronisation (within ~1ms, I believe) with other grouped speakers. So, yes, the delay is either due to downstream AV processing, or simply due to different distances from the speakers.
I hear the Sonos One slightly ahead even when directly in front of the speakers being fed by the ZP90, so it's some sort of processing that can't be disabled on the Sony receiver. Hence, I think my only options are a new receiver, or for Sonos to add a delay option to the Sonos One, which would be my preference. Or I can just not benefit from the best feature of Sonos and have to keep switching the music depending on which room I'm in, which is what I'm doing now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I feed a CONNECT's optical output into a Yamaha AV amp, using 2CH or 7CH Stereo to listen to music. I couldn't discern a synchronisation delay versus a couple of grouped Sonos ONEs temporarily placed in the same room. However, many -- possibly most -- people have reported that their AV amps do introduce perceptible delays.

FWIW, I think it's highly unlikely that Sonos will introduce configurable delays. The UX is slightly more complicated than you imply (what if there are multiple CONNECTs feeding amplifiers that introduce different delays?), plus it's not really their style.
I think you're correct and I'm just not going to be able to get the system to do what I'd like. Thanks for your time and thoughts!