Question

Philips Hue HDMI Sync Box & Sonos Beam 5.1

• 21 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi I just got a Philips Sync Box for my tv. I am having a hard time figuring out the best way to set up all my devices most efficiently. I just ordered updated HDMIs as well 

Devices:

• Sharp 55" Class - 4K UHD TV with HDR Roku TV LC-55LBU591U
  • Verizon Stream TV (4K UHD)
  • Sonos Beam (with 2 Sonos One Gen 2, Gen 3 Sub, 5.1)
  • Philips Hue Sync Box (w/ Hub, lights, etc)
  • Sonos Port (for vinyl player) (dont think its relevant)

I would like to plug everything into the Sync Box and connect that to the TV though HDMI/ARC. So i can sync music from Sonos and still have TV surround sound. 

Right now i have the Stream TV plugged into Hue, and Hue plugged into the TV. Then Beam into TV with HDMI Arc. 

Also this might be a Hue question but any advice for the “Enable ARC Bypass” and Dolby Vision Enhancec compatibility” settings would be much appreciated!

Thank you!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I would like to plug everything into the Sync Box and connect that to the TV though HDMI/ARC. So i can sync music from Sonos and still have TV surround sound. 

You might need to clarify this a bit, but I’ll answer what I think you’re asking.  First, understand that ARC stands for Audio Return Channel, meaning that audio data is flowing in the opposite direction than the way normal data flows.  A Sonos Beam, for example, connects to the TVs HDMI/ARC port (technically an INPUT) and the TV will send audio data to the Beam.  The Beam must connect to a port that sends ARC audio data to it. 

That means that the Beam mostly likely can’t be connected to the Sync box, as Hue doesn’t know to send audio data to the Beam via ARC.  Perhaps the ‘ARC bypass’ feature means the Sync will pass audio from the TV to the Beam, but I seriously doubt it.  In short, I don’t think you’re going to be able to plug everything to the Sync box, with one HDMI cable to the TV.  Most likely, your sources to the Sync box, Sync box to TV (not ARC), and TV (ARC) to Beam.

Regarding your comment of ‘sync music from Sonos’ with the Hue Sync box….that’s not possible. Any audio you stream directly to Sonos essentially stays with Sonos.  The HDMI port on the Beam does not send out audio at all.  You do have a Port that sends out Sonos streamed audio, but you would need to convert the coax or RCA output to HDMI before making it an input to the Sync box.  But, maybe I didn’t understand the question.

Right now i have the Stream TV plugged into Hue, and Hue plugged into the TV. Then Beam into TV with HDMI Arc. 

This is likely the best setup for you.

Also this might be a Hue question but any advice for the “Enable ARC Bypass” and Dolby Vision Enhancec compatibility” settings would be much appreciated!

Thank you!!

Dolby Vision is an improved video format.  In order to use it you would need a dolby vision source and a TV capable of dolby vision, which I doubt your TV is capable of.  It’s possible that this setting converts DV to HDR, which your TV might be able to do (I didn’t check the specs), but I doubt that as well.  I would guess that all this does is enable pass through of DV from your source to your TV.