Answered

Permanently Muting Sonos One to use as Air Play Injector

• 10 November 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
I think I may need to permanently disable the speaker drivers (!) in my Sonos One but am hoping someone has a better solution to the following problem: I have only one Sonos device, a Sonos One, which supports Airplay 2. I play music directly to it over Airplay2 from the Apple Music app running on an Iphone. I group my Sonos One to various other Play:1's and Play:3's around the house: the Sonos One is in that sense the 'injector' for the whole house. I want to be able to listen to music on, and only on, my Play:3's in the Living Room, so I group Living Room with the Sonos One, and mute the Sonos One. That works fine. The problem comes when I increase the volume using the Iphone's physical volume control. That increases the volume of the {Living Room + SonosOne} group, which unmutes the Sonos One. So I end up with music playing in two rooms rather than one. The only way I can think of around this is to hobble the Sonos One by cutting the wires to its drivers, so that it is permanently muted. Surely there must be a better way! (Obviously I am aware that I could use the Sonos App on the Iphone to raise only the volume of the Living Room speaker and keep Sonos One muted, but I would rather not do this for the sake of simplicity for folk unfamiliar with that app).
icon

Best answer by jishi 11 November 2018, 13:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Exile the Sonos One to the garage or other out of the way place?

Give it a wrap of several layers of acoustic foam and cardboard to absorb the noise? (I'd say lead foil but that also eats WiFi signal)

I do wish Sonos would come out with a simple Sonos AirPlay and Voice hub device with no speakers that folks could use to upgrade older Sonos gear to offer the new features. They could even build in the faster indexing and any other features the older gear struggles to support. Maybe just build it in a Boost case?

I'd even buy one if it had a mechanical switch on the mike.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Doesn't it have a permanent max volume feature now? The lowest it goes to is 1% though, so not 0.
Doesn't it have a permanent max volume feature now? The lowest it goes to is 1% though, so not 0.

Ding ding! We have a winner!

To the OP, set the max volume on the One to 1%. That way it will never get above minimum volume. Perhaps Sonos will make 0% available just for this request.
Badge +1
Ding ding indeed! Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated Jishi. If I can now pursuade Marcus to build it into Sonosequencr then I will be a happy man.