Answered

Orbi in router mode with wired sonos issues

• 12 December 2020
  • 8 replies

Thank you for trying to help in advance, I’ve been tearing my hair out trying to solve the issue.

My sonos system is all wired through a port and connect box.

For years it has worked with the Virgin Hub 3 and Orbi in AP mode. I have now tried to configure with the ORbi in router mode to get the parental controls now the kids are online.

I’ve tried the Hub 3 in modem and the Orbi in router mode as well as both in Router mode but the wired sonos cannot be accessed through the app in either case. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 12 December 2020, 11:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I can’t really help with the trouble shooting, but wanted to mention that it should be possible. I have my ISP box in modem mode and Orbi in router mode with three additional satellites. Sonos is connected with one wired connection (my Amp wired to an unmanaged switch plugged directly in the router) creating Sonosnet. All connected to Sonosnet, except for my Move which gets wifi from usually the second satellite. Hardly any connectivity issues.

I would try this... 

Ensure the BT Hub is in modem mode and cable just one Sonos device to the primary orbi  hub only and then try switching the SonosNet channel between channels 1, 6 or 11 in the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network” until you find a channel that works best, but give each channel a try for at least 30 minutes before moving onto the next as the devices may need to settle after each channel change.

See if that resolves the issue.

I am surprised that Virgin parental controls don't operate with the Orbi in AP mode, but if you are sure....

@John B its the circle product I’m trying to get to work (which is integrated to Orbi), it gives you granular control over accessible sites and devices, time limits etc

If the Sonos is wired to the WAN side of the Orbi primary then of course a controller on the Orbi WiFi won’t be able to see it when the Orbi is in router mode. Sonos controllers and players all need to reside on the same IP subnet. 

@Ken_Griffiths Thanks for this, I didn’t need to change the sonos net channel just needed to re add 2 of the three connects when hard wired directly into the Orbi router. Then the 3rd one appeared as it is all working.

I was then able to move the Orbi router back to its original position (albeit now hard wired to the connects through a switch etc) and its all working.

Thanks again

@ratty im not sure what you mean (apologies I’m no expert here) but the Sonos is hard wired into the orbi router and the controller (iPhone app) is now working to control the products when on the orbi mesh WiFi. 

@ratty im not sure what you mean (apologies I’m no expert here) but the Sonos is hard wired into the orbi router and the controller (iPhone app) is now working to control the products when on the orbi mesh WiFi. 

That’s as it should be. My point was that if the Sonos had remained wired to the Virgin box you wouldn’t have been able to operate it with the Orbi in router mode. The Orbi’s routing function splits the network into two different subnets: the ‘upstream’/WAN side and the ‘downstream’/LAN/private side.