optimum setup for large living dining space 700 square feet

• 30 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello everyone 

I was designing my apartment interiors and wanted idea how to setup a speaker system predominantly for music and bit of Tv 

the space is little diverse as the Tv is placed in the family area and I also need coverage for the whole room for music as I would also be using my personal kitchen and dining also

Have attached the picture 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d set up a soundbar for the TV, maybe add a Sub later or even a Sub-Mini if you only want a little more low end.

You don’t have any great wall options so you might consider six Sonos/Sonance ceiling speakers for the music. They could be grouped with the soundbar/Sub for more volume too.

Two over the dining table, two over the pantry label and the remaining two over the living area. Probably will sound best in Mono mode but you could certainly try the Stereo option if you wire the speakers to support it.

Likely the 6” speakers would be fine but the 8” are a possibility. As is a second Sub but optimal positioning looks to be a challenge with all the glass walls. Maybe in the Dining corner with the Living corner a second choice.

Hello stanley

thank you for the prompt reply

Ceiling speakers are not an option for me as we have concrete true ceilings.

I was wondering if there is any option with Sonos era range of speakers (era 300s if my budget allows) and how to set them up in position because they offer flexibility of moving around also 

thanks

I would solve the TV sound issue separately via any decent soundbar from known makes, also ensuring connectivity compatibility between TV and sound bar. For music I would buy the cheapest Sonos speakers that are mains powered, and place enough of them around the space to play singly or grouped together to have music play over the entire space at a uniform sound level. These speakers would also be small enough to play around with for best positioning before deciding where the outcome is best. If you are able to return the speakers for full refund, buy more than you think you need and return the surplus after playing around to decide how many speakers are needed and where they should be placed.

Userlevel 7

Hi

Your space is very challenging to sound for music as a primary use. Not just for Sonos but for any speaker setup. I understand why you may prefer Sonos due to its wireless capabilities. The task is doable as long as you are flexible and understand why I'll make the following suggestions. 

No matter where speakers are placed some members of the audience will be at an angle or have their back to a speaker. If all speakers are playing at the same time the audience position in relationship to all or one speaker may not be an issue. It’s when a single or a select grouping may cause a directional concern.

Note: Sonos speakers with the exception of the Move2 and Roam are not designed to be moved about. 

Music

• Era 300’s IMO are not the ideal speakers for music in your senario. They really require a wall to reflect sound even when not playing a Dolby Atmos source. However, they should not be shoved in a corner. Therefore, I recommend Sonos Fives placed strategically in corners. Also the Fives will provide a better low-end than Era 300’s. The Fives are shown in Blue.

TV

• Here I recommend a Beam2 (Shown in Yellow) and a Sub-Mini (shown in Red). The Sub-mini will relieve the Beam2 of Low-end duties and allow it to focus on mids, highs and dialogue.

Pantry

• Here I recommend a Sonos Move2 for versatility of placement (Shown in Green).
  • The Move2 also brings Bluetooth capabilities to the mix 👍
  • Note: Using the Move2 in this space may make the Five shown unnecessary

Full Coverage

• Each speaker would be set as an individual room/zone.
  • The Sub-Miin would be bonded to the Beam2 as part of its room/zone. 
  • I would not set any Fives as a stereo pair as they are too far apart to be effective as such.
  • All speakers (room/zone) can be Grouped to play music in sync. You can also set groups as you wish. 
  • DO NOT group any Five or the Move2 to play movie dialogue with the Beam2. Doing so will introduce a 75ms delay to those speakers causing an echo/stadium effect.

I hope this information proves useful 😊

Thank you @kumar and @AjTrek 1 for your inputs

@kumar I am not sure whether refund thing works in my area with the company will have to check

@ ajtrek thank you for such a detailed advise

I think four Sonos 5 speakers with the sub and bar will be very much out of my budget , will look into it 

Just a thought ..

what if I separate the Tv space with a bar and sub and using a separate single speaker at the pantry which you have marked 

will it do justice ?

Userlevel 7

Hi

Alternate Option 1

Two Fives as a stereo pair on the left and right side of TV. Keep the Beam2 and Sub and the Move2 to place where you like. I Believe the Fives as a stereo pair will sweep the entire space adequately especially when supported by the Move2 strategically placed. I have a similar setup in my media room which is 29 Long x 18 Wide. TV is at the top of the Long end.

Alternate Option 2

Same as above but adding another Five in the corner of the living room as shown in my first diagram.

Alternate Option 3 

Option 1 or Option 2 but substituting Era 300’s for the Fives.

Note: The other 2 Fives in Dining and Panty would be removed using either Alternate Option above.