One speaker from stereo pair stops working

Show first post

159 replies

I have the same issue. Right speaker cuts in and out. Diagnostic report 1839638851. I can’t change the wireless channel because none of my three units are wired. It doesn’t make sense that there would be wireless interference when the stereo pair are 4 feet from each other! And only one cuts out over and over for two years? No it can’t be wireless interference. When I move the right speaker it doesn’t correct it. 

I have the same issue. Right speaker cuts in and out. Diagnostic report 1839638851. I can’t change the wireless channel because none of my three units are wired. It doesn’t make sense that there would be wireless interference when the stereo pair are 4 feet from each other! And only one cuts out over and over for two years? No it can’t be wireless interference. When I move the right speaker it doesn’t correct it. 

What might be worth trying is to temporarily unpair/ungroup the two speakers and just swap their positions and see what happens with the speakers after that. It’s clear the devices are 4ft from each other, but I don’t understand why you can’t change their WiFi channel or the channel-width on your router? Perhaps try fixed channel 11 or 6 and set a channel width of 20MHz and ensure that both speakers are set a metre away from the router, or any other wireless access point.

Guess what. When I unpaired the pair they work perfectly fine anywhere in the house!. So the issue is a software issue with paired speakers. Can someone from tech support please respond?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Kwm 

Your diagnostic didn’t contain any information as your phone was not connected to your system at the moment the diagnostic was sent.

I recommend you reboot your router by removing power for at least a minute, then turning back on.

Please then send another diagnostic while your phone is connected to the Sonos system, replying here with the number given, and we’ll try again. Thanks.

Ive tried restarting my router. Like 12 times. The issue continues as before each time  

Ok here is the new diagnostics report 759345870 

note that I separated the stereo pair and labeled the new one “office“  and as before all three are working fine with no issues whatsoever. werr I to re-pair the two, the issue comes back, no matter where in the house the pair is. it is always the right speaker that cuts in and out.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Kwm 

I’m afraid I can’t really troubleshoot a stereo pair when the diagnostic is sent while that stereo pair doesn’t exist. Could you please reconfigure your system to the way you want it to work, recreate the issue and then send another diagnostic? Thanks.

Also, what happens if you make a different physical speaker the right side of the pair? Is it still the right speaker that has issues, regardless of which speaker the right speaker actually is?

Here is my diagnostic report 1742961977

The plot thickens: it appears the right speaker goes out mainly when I’m playing on Apple podcast using airplay. When I use the Sonos app to play, it appears to work fine, again, as long as it’s not an Apple podcast. 

Any insight from the diagnostic report?

It appears it affects one physical unit, regardless of if it’s assigned right or left, and regardless of where in the house the unit is placed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Kwm 

Thanks for sending the diagnostic.

At the time of the diagnostic, it seems the left bedroom speaker was suffering from some 2.4 GHz interference. The most common cause of this is it being too close to an access point, or another WiFi device. Please make sure it has 1m separation from any other WiFi devices.

In addition, the two halves of the pair are connecting to different Google mesh nodes. This shouldn’t be a problem, but I suppose it could be. Rebooting a nearby mesh node should resolve this, at least until the speakers reboot again. It does look like you may have too much WiFi coverage in the bedroom - you may get better results by simply having less access points.

As the issue is following a particular unit, however, that sort of changes things. It may help to reset that unit - unpair it first, then follow the instructions to factory reset it, set it up again and re-pair.

I hope this helps.