One speaker from stereo pair stops working

Show first post

176 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Similar issues here since a few months. Nothing has really changed in the house or sonos setup. Right speaker stops playing music in a stereo setup.

Breaking up the stereo pair (play 1’s) and joining them up again as a stereo pair seems to fix the issue for a short while (after which the problem returns).

When the right speaker stops playing music (left continues), the right speaker can still be used to pause the music using the pause button.

Submitted diagnosis: 325690171

Thanks for sending in the report. It looks like your speakers are connecting to different wireless access points which are running on different wireless channels. This can make it hard for your speakers to stay in sync. Please make sure all of your wireless access points are set to channel 11, and that your speakers aren't too far apart.
I am having the exact same problem. Right speaker stops working but the button still controls the music coming out of the left speaker. Diagnostic confirmation number is: 1936647214
I have the same problem since a couple of months. Two wired play:5's in stereo and the right one stops playing every other day. The buttons still work on the device, but no sound. I have to unplug and plug it to reset it. After a 5 minutes the speaker starts to work again. Must be a "recent" firmware change because I have my speakers for 4 years and never had this problem before.
Bart Riemens,

Albeit a while back now, I have encountered this issue in the past with my old Play 5's and I just broke apart the stereo pair and reset each one, one at a time so that I did not lose my setup ...and having set them up again as a pair, I have had no issues since. I also changed my wifi channel to one that was least-used in my locality, so that perhaps helped too.
Hey Sonos staff,

I am answering to this thread as I do have a similar issue with Sonos Play:1 that I bought a couple of months ago. I do have the sound coming out of one speaker and not the other in a stereo pair. However, with the controller buttons (volume up/down, pauze/start) of both device I can control the sound coming of the only speaker working. Seems like they are connected to each other ?

My diagnostic report number is 1868022631.
Could you check what the rootcause is and what can be done to fix this ?

Kind regards,
Yciine
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey Sonos staff,

I am answering to this thread as I do have a similar issue with Sonos Play:1 that I bought a couple of months ago. I do have the sound coming out of one speaker and not the other in a stereo pair. However, with the controller buttons (volume up/down, pauze/start) of both device I can control the sound coming of the only speaker working. Seems like they are connected to each other ?

My diagnostic report number is 1868022631.
Could you check what the rootcause is and what can be done to fix this ?

Kind regards,
Yciine

Hi there,

Thanks for sending in the report. There are some wireless communication errors showing up between your speakers and network. I also see that there is a wireless network in close range to yours that is running on the same channel as your own. This could be causing interference, making it hard for your speakers to play in sync. Please try changing your router's wireless channel to 6, which is less crowded.
Hi, I have a new pair of sonos play 1 connect as stereo. Same as anyone else. Every now and then right speaker will just go "offline" no sound. Got to separate and pair them again. I have set both spk to statics after seeing advise given here. But before that I have send in my diagnostic report number 157275521. Pls take a look.Cheers
Typo diagnose number should be 1572755521
Same problem here. Diagnostic confirmation number: 1086432769
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Keep in mind this is mainly a user to user forum so if you want fast response from Sonos one of the direct to Sonos contact methods may be better, twitter is open 24x7 other options are on the contact page too.
Same issue with a One speaker in a pair. Incident : 298348780
Hi, also have this issue. Right speaker in l+r pair keeps going quiet. The touch controls and Alexa on this speaker will still control the system when it’s quiet though. It’s in the same room as the WiFi router. 225545706 Is diagnostics number. Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Typo diagnose number should be 1572755521

Thanks for sending in the report. There's wireless interference from nearby networks running on the same channel as your own. This is making it hard for your speakers to stay connected, and your right speaker has lost communication with the rest of the system. Also, you have 2 access points which are running on different wireless channels. Please try changing both of your wireless access points over to wireless channel 6 and test things out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem here. Diagnostic confirmation number: 1086432769

It looks like you recently switched your system back to the mesh configuration by wiring in your Bridge. There are still some errors relating to connections to your wireless network. Please head into the Sonos app and go to the settings menu. In the advanced settings page you can click wireless setup to find the option to reset your wireless credentials. Please try this, then reboot your Sonos speakers. Send along a new report if any issues continue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue with a One speaker in a pair. Incident : 298348780

Hi there,

In your report it looks like you have a Sonos 5.1 surround setup. I don't see a stereo pair. If the stereo pair of speakers isn't showing up in the app, please follow the steps in this guide to get the speakers reconnected.

If you're having trouble with the speakers in your surround setup, take a look around and in between the speakers and see if there are any third party wireless electronics which could cause interference. Common sources of this type of interference include cordless phone bases, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors and wireless printers. Try moving away from your speakers any such devices you find.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, also have this issue. Right speaker in l+r pair keeps going quiet. The touch controls and Alexa on this speaker will still control the system when it’s quiet though. It’s in the same room as the WiFi router. 225545706 Is diagnostics number. Thanks

It looks like there's a bit of interference showing up from a secondary wireless network your router is creating that is on the same channel as your main network. Try changing the network with the "-X" at the end over to channel 11 and see if that helps.
I have the same problem. Two Play 5s (1st gen) configured as stereo pair. Right hand speaker (always the RH) often fails to start when system activated. Won't restore of its own accord. Fix is turn off power, wait a bit and then turn on again. Logged a fault with Sonos. As always, their answer was "wireless congestion", change WiFi/Sonosnet channel(s), move all RF sources nearby. Done all that. Have also locked specific IF addresses on all Sonos units but still the problem persists! Surely Sonos can fix this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same problem. Two Play 5s (1st gen) configured as stereo pair. Right hand speaker (always the RH) often fails to start when system activated. Won't restore of its own accord. Fix is turn off power, wait a bit and then turn on again. Logged a fault with Sonos. As always, their answer was "wireless congestion", change WiFi/Sonosnet channel(s), move all RF sources nearby. Done all that. Have also locked specific IF addresses on all Sonos units but still the problem persists! Surely Sonos can fix this?

Hi there,

Wireless interference is the most common cause of a stereo pair falling out of sync. Please submit a diagnostic report after this happens, but before any reboots. Reply with the confirmation number, I can take a look for you.
I have the same issue - two play 1's - the right hand side one often doesn't play. Diagnostic report 1256881205 - can you help? Thanks
I am having the exact same issue. I have two Play 1 pairs (plus two singles) and both pairs keep separating. The fix above works, un-pair then re-pair but this is annoying to do each day.

Diagnostics number is 1242515697.

My problem only started with the latest system update.

I have set fixed IP addresses and changed the wi fi channel, with no success.
I am having the same problem. Here is diagnostic # 388320624 Thanks.
Badge
Same issue here. Diagnostics sent, #947515115. Thanks
Same issue here. Diagnostics sent, #947515115. ThanksThe issues mentioned here were some weeks back. As it’s weekend and the forum is going to be offline for a while this week coming, you maybe best to contact Sonos Support direct via their 24/7 links ... see this link:

Contact Sonos Customer Care
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same issue - two play 1's - the right hand side one often doesn't play. Diagnostic report 1256881205 - can you help? Thanks

Hi there,

I see some wireless communication errors between your Sonos components. This may explain the issue with your stereo pair. Please try changing the wireless channel your system is using and see if that helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the exact same issue. I have two Play 1 pairs (plus two singles) and both pairs keep separating. The fix above works, un-pair then re-pair but this is annoying to do each day.

Diagnostics number is 1242515697.

My problem only started with the latest system update.

I have set fixed IP addresses and changed the wi fi channel, with no success.

Thanks for the report. Your Sonos speakers are losing connection from time to time with your wireless network. This can make it hard for your stereo pair to stay in sync. Please try changing your router's wireless channel to 6 or 11 and test things out again.