Answered

Multiple wifi networks-same Sonos network?

• 26 December 2016
  • 3 replies

Hi All,
I have a large garden and an Ethernet cable running underground from my main router/wifi location (#1) to a secondary wifi/router setup as a repeater (#2). The two locations do not have continuous wifi coverage.

My main house fed of #1 has been running without issue.

I've recently connected a new Sonos to #2. I tried normal wifi setup but it failed. I tried the Ethernet cable (plugged into #2) and it worked fine. I could successfully get the new Sonos speaker to group with the ones connected to #1.

However-it only works when connected via Ethernet cable. When I try to connect via wifi on #2 it does not work. I presume because #2 is giving off a different wifi connection than #1. Does anyone know how to make both of my routers appear as if they are giving off the same wifi network-as I assume the new Sonos speaker would then work wirelessly?

To be clear-there is an Ethernet cable coming out of router#1, and plugged into router#2. This is the only way I can get internet access to router #2.

Thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by ratty 27 December 2016, 00:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi again,

To be clear - the intent is to have all speakers on both wifi networks to be in a Sonos Group 😃
It sounds like the second router is just that: a router, as opposed to an access point. In that case it breaks your network in two, and devices attached to it will be on a different IP subnet.

See here for repurposing a router as an access point.

Note that if your Sonos is in 'Standard Setup' (i.e. WiFi mode) the SSIDs for the two WiFi points must be the same.
Thanks Ratty!
Was setup as an AP but had different SSIDs...all fixed now.
Thanks for the prompt response!