Question

Multiple optical audio out with Sonos

• 15 September 2019
  • 10 replies

I would like to play the sound from my TV (LG OLED) through my Sonos playbase and a digital headphone simulataneously. I have a toslink splitter which the sonos intermittently appears to recognise, but no sound output occurs. Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I'd assume that splitting the signal from your TV lowers the amount of light that's getting to each output, so that the device can't read it properly.

I'd be looking for a powered device, if such a thing exists. One that takes the optical input, then duplicates it with a new dual output. Or a switch that does one output at a time, and not two.
The device is powered. I believe there may be compatibility issues. I am trying to see if there is a fix for my device, or if anyone knows what the specifications are to be compatible with sonos
Are you sure you have a splitter (which you need) and not a switch (which is all I remember seeing mentiomed on the forum)?

Whst make and model is it?
I tried a switch, it wouldn’t work with the sonos either. The splitter is a Digitech AC-1590 3 way optical toslink splitter
Sounds like the right type of device. What audio format are you sending? Playbar only handles DD5.1 and stereo. Does the Playbar produce sound if you cut the switch out and connect direct from TV to Playbar?
I think it sends DD5.1. It works directly connected to the TV
Faulty splitter then?? Or a faulty cable? From the product description this is a suitable device. The Playbar will play what is receives if a suitable format. Does the cable that you plug into the Playbar have a red light to show it is 'live', wherher connected directly or through the splitter? (Don't point the cable directly at ypur eyes when checking this.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This is working on my old ZP-80, going to hearing-aid Bluetooth transmitter, AVR and one spare line.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQ2R314/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks everyone. John, the cable to the Playbase does have a red light, it just didn’t produce any sound when connected. If I take out the splitter, I would get sound. I bought a new non-Sonos optical cable, replaced the Sonos one, and I get output with sound from the Playbase and my headphones via the splitter. Success
Great news. Thanks for letting us know.