Question

Multiple ceiling speakers

• 7 February 2021
  • 1 reply

I have 5 pairs of Yamaha ceiling speakers and an impedance balancing switch box. Also have a Sub but it is of course wireless (and an excellent piece of equipment). Connecting to my Amp, what gauge wire should I use to run to the switching unit? Should I keep speakers off (each room has its own wall control) when the room isn't in use to limit the load on the amplifier? I had a Connect Amp and it was crapping out routinely (about 2 years after installation). I had no constructive feedback from Sonos on this and finally got a new Amp. I just don't want this problem to repeat itself. now that the old Connect is outdated and virtually unsaleable I decided to give the new unit a chance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Which model wall controls are you using? Which model switch box? If the controls are impedance matching, you don’t need the box.

SUB is a mixed blessing in this sort of system because bass will be removed from AMP’s output and routed to SUB. Obviously SUB benefits only one location and that location will have all of the bass. Plus, SUB will not respond to a wall mounted control. In the room with SUB, the wall control will effectively become a treble control.

Generally, #12 wire is the largest gauge that will fit switch box terminals.