Answered

Mixed mode question

• 13 January 2020
  • 28 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

All good now. Music played with boost off, zone as secondary node. On powering Boost, it became root bridge, and zone went to tertiary via a green boxes to the bridge. 

@ratty : again, many thanks. I seem to be doing this every six months:-).

Is there any merit in powering what seems to be a defective bridge and sending a diagnostic to Sonos to confirm failure?

Is there any merit in powering what seems to be a defective bridge and sending a diagnostic to Sonos to confirm failure?

I would see if the dodgy Bridge comes to life if you either (a) factory reset it or (b) borrow the power supply from the ‘good’ Bridge. No need to wire it again. Just look in the matrix to see if it’s connecting to the Boost.

If nothing works then toss it into the recycling.

Factory reset did the trick. So it goes back into storage as a back up for the Boost/Bridge in use, because now it will serve as well as even the Boost for just the open line of sight wireless zones. 

Both were lying in a box since I got the Boost a few years ago. With this cool trick with one of them, for the first time ever the bedroom play 1 units are in solid green!

Its been a long winding thread; hopefully someone else will benefit in future.

PS: for completion - there is, as expected, zero effect on sound quality because of using wired as opposed to wireless, or via the change in signal strength. I had only the rare stuttering, I expect that will go away. My primary requirement was to be able play the bedroom zone as a stand alone one, that is now achieved.