It is possible to connect Sonos Play: 5 to a record player + an HDMI splitter?

• 7 November 2018
  • 4 replies

I've done a fair bit of research on this, but haven't been able to find a clear solution, yet. My setup is as follows: I've got a Ligawo HDMI Matrix 4x2, to which everything is plugged into (Apple TV, PS4, HDMI for laptop) - the video output is a Samsung Smart TV and an Epson Projector. For audio, the PS4 (and HDMI for laptop) are connected directly to my amplifier, and since Apple TV only has an HDMI output the sound comes directly from the TV. I've also got a record player plugged directly into the amplifier.

My challenge is as follows: I want to get rid of all old speakers & amplifier and be able to connect a Play: 5 to the entire setup. If that works out I would flesh out the setup with a few One's throughout the home.
I understand that the only way to connect the record player is directly via the audio jack at the back of the Play: 5 - so that takes care of that port. How do I connect the Play: 5 to the rest? Is it even possible?

I also don't want to invest in a CONNECT or CONNECT AMP, since I'd getting rid of all the old stuff I have at home. Enough with all the darn cables!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi durka05

You've got a very ambitious request:8. However it may be possible but you're not going to eliminate the "darn cables" 😉. You'll still need a variety of RCA to RCA, RCA to 3.5mm and possibly Digital to RCA as well as several HDMI's. You'll also need to be able to turn the TV speakers off to avoid a "stadium" effect. In the Sonos app you'll set the line-in to auto for the Play 5. So for what it's worth see my diagram below and let us know how things sort out. Arrows (blue) represent audio cables to the RCA switch and the Play 5. FYI, the choice of switch(es) is yours :8. Good Luck!

PS
If your TV has enough HDMI inputs you could connect the AppleTV, and PS4 direct and possibly the PC (using a PC port). You'll still need a switch to get audio to the Play 5 from the turntable, projector and TV.

Cheers!

Hi AjTrek1,

Ah that makes perfect sense, I should have thought of that! Since I'm using an HDMI splitter for the video, it would make sense to also have an audio splitter. At least I'll be able to eliminate the 'darn cables' from the current speakers & amplifier.
And maybe to avoid potential loss in quality, I should have one splitter device (for all audio & video) instead of two separate ones. Essentially I would need something like this, but with multiple HDMI + audio inputs. Does such a thing exist? Any recommendations?

(https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Splitter-CoolDigital-Converter-Include/dp/B01MT295TN?_encoding=UTF8&path=%2FExtractor-Splitter-CoolDigital-Converter-Include%2Fdp%2FB01MT295TN&useRedirectOnSuccess=1&)

Ideally I would have all HDMI & audio inputs going into this one device, and from there one audio output (RCA to 3.5mm into the Play 5), and two HDMI outputs (one to the TV and one to the projector). In a perfect world I wouldn't have to use the TV speakers at all, since they are lame and the Play 5 will give much better sound. Am I on the right track here?

And woah, I wasn't expecting a diagram - thank you! That actually helped me visualize the problem as a whole.
Userlevel 7
Hi durka05

Here's another suggestion. I'm recommending two (2) Play 5's in stereo pair to provide a better separation for all sources, especially the turntable. You only have to connect one of the Play 5's via 3.5mm (eliminates another "darn" cable :D). A single Play 5 for your intended setup IMO would be lacking. Two will deliver a listening experience comparable to your current wired setup; if not better (without the darn wires ;)).

There are other solutions. But since you are bullish :8 to eliminate wires, speakers and amps (including a Sonos Connect and/or Amp) the aforementioned is the best recommendation I can think of. Feel free to ask additional questions. Good luck to get everything sorted out to your satisfaction. Let us know the outcome. Cheers!

PS
I forgot to mention that in either setup you may experience a lipsync issue with video.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9
You sound like you need a similar setup to mine, I have also my HDMI devices plugged into a splitter then to the TV. Then my TV is connected (rca->3.5mm) to an audio splitter (which also has a vinyl player and MP3 connected). The audio splitter is then connected to the Play 5.

Then my Play 5 is grouped with 2x Play 1's, no lip sync delay (TV speakers are muted)

Hopefully my old post might help: https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sharing-my-new-sonos-setup-with-vinyl-player-and-tv-connection-6797724