Answered

Issues with S2 security/Adding a device on a shared network/Setup difficulty

• 22 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi All, 

Two issues:

1. I can see and control another resident’s SONOS system without logging in (turn on/off Alarms, Play music etc) but cannot add or remove devices.
  2. I cant create my own system or add my own device to the shared WIFI network and can only use the S2 app.

I will attempt to explain this as simply as I can - and am seeking a solution.

I recently acquired a SONOS Roam and primarily use a homepod based setup within the house. - a mobile Airplay Speaker? yes please!  Perfect for taking out on the back deck....

The problems:

I live in an  Government Service residence (we are required to live here for work, and have to comply with the network requirements, and all share the same private network and are not able to introduce new networks into the building. There are approximately 26 apartments with each household being everything from single individuals to families of 5). One of the other residents already has a Sonos System. When I open the S2 App, I can see their entire setup, turn on and off alarms and play from their speakers. I cant however, start a new system for my device - or even add my shiny new roam to the wifi to use the Airplay functionality. 

The S1 App allows you to setup a new system when adding a new device, but doesn’t support the ROAM.

Within the S2 App, I tap the ‘Add Sonos Roam’ and my own SONOS account details aren't accepted and it requires me to put in the details for “j***2@email.com’ - I can only assume is the other residents account.

Is there a way to setup a new system on S2 without the app defaulting to the existing account on that network? When WIFI is off, the SONOS App shows my account information, when I join the home wifi, the app attempts to use the other Resident’s account/system.

Is there a way to secure the system so that other people on the network don’t have control by default?

(There can be up to 100 people on this residential network) - Can anyone with an S2 App on a WIFI network see and use the existing SONOS setup??

A Travel router won’t work as I’m running my Smart Home/homekit setup off the network I want to Airplay from. (and adding one is technically against the network rules). The only solution I can think of at the moment, is to doornock the 26 apartments and see if they would add the speaker for me - but then it would be on their system…..

To my horror, I can’t even setup the speaker as a bluetooth speaker without the app/Wifi!

Any help is appreciated! (I’m really hoping there is just a “add new system” button or some way to have my own sonos account recognised by the app!)

icon

Best answer by John B 22 April 2021, 13:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Update: I reset the App, and was able to setup a new system, and the App is no longer defaulting to the other persons account/system. So I’ve now got my ROAM setup.

It is still however, quite easy to get onto any other system and control those devices.

Hi.  I am not even going to go there about the undesirability of your wifi set up.  I would try to persuade them to let you use a travel router.

I think you can solve your immediate issue by resetting your app (in App Preferences), and then choose set up new system NOT connect to existing system.

However, it is questionable whether it can be called a solution to expose yourself to the risk that any other resident could download the Sonos app, connect to your system and play Motorhead at full volume at 2am.

Edit: my post crossed with yours.