iPhone Intermittently Drops Controller Connection, MacBook Does Not Drop Connection on Google Fiber

• 10 January 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge
I love my Sonos PLAY:3 players! I have Google Fiber and noticed my iPhone controller randomly connected and disconnected to Sonos throughout a day. All the while, my MacBook Pro had no trouble connecting to the system. After trying a number of things such as setting the channels, I decided to try setting up my Google Router to have a separate SSID for 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz. I renamed the main SSID to denote "slow" and then named the 5.0GHz after my original SSID. I restarted my router just to be safe. After separating the two bandwidths, I connected one of my speakers to the router and used the MacBook controller to assign the speakers to the 2.4Ghz SSID. My iPhone and MacBook connected right to the 5.0GHz SSID without a change. My Apple and Sonos family are now speaking together. In fact, they are making sweet music together!

Peace and Music On!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I love my Sonos PLAY:3 players! I have Google Fiber and noticed my iPhone controller randomly connected and disconnected to Sonos throughout a day. All the while, my MacBook Pro had no trouble connecting to the system. After trying a number of things such as setting the channels, I decided to try setting up my Google Router to have a separate SSID for 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz. I renamed the main SSID to denote "slow" and then named the 5.0GHz after my original SSID. I restarted my router just to be safe. After separating the two bandwidths, I connected one of my speakers to the router and used the MacBook controller to assign the speakers to the 2.4Ghz SSID. My iPhone and MacBook connected right to the 5.0GHz SSID without a change. My Apple and Sonos family are now speaking together. In fact, they are making sweet music together!

Peace and Music On!

We appreciate you taking your time share this. Just curious, which Google Router did you go for, Asus or TP-Link?
Badge
I am using the router issued by Google, model GFRG100.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I am using the router issued by Google, model GFRG100.

Interesting, have not seen that before. Guessing it only works with Google Fiber then? Thought you owned an OnHub: https://on.google.com/hub.
I was having a similar issue. My Sonos system has worked fine for years, but when I switched to Google Fiber my iPhone would intermittently stop connecting to the Sonos system. My Mac and PC laptops were usually fine, but once my PC laptop did have the same issue. I ended up changing the SSID of the 5Ghz network and it seemed to resolve the issue. My phone started working again on the 2.4ghz network, then I switched the phone to the 5Ghz network and it's still working great. Hopefully this resolves it.