In Wall Volume Controller - How many Watts?

• 21 April 2022
  • 6 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

I am updating my home system that has 2 ceiling speakers in the kitchen with an in-wall volume controller and 2 ceiling speakers upstairs with another in-wall volume controller and a Connect Amp.  The 4 speakers are now Sonos Architectural in-ceiling speakers (definite up grade on sound quality versus previous speakers) and have a Sonos Amp on order from Sonos.  I am replacing the 2 in-wall volume controllers and need advise on how many Watts each volume controller should be (100W, 150W, 300W are various available controllers)?  Thanks.

6 replies

I would just take those out if it were me. You can comtrol volune via the app or get a remote if you prefer. Lutron and ikea make some good ones that may even cost less than the hard wired control. 

Appreciate your response and may consider deleting the controllers as an option but it is convenient to be able to adjust the volume in two very separate locations via the in wall controllers.  I will also check the prices at IKEA as had not thought of this retailer as a potential source. 

Appreciate your response and may consider deleting the controllers as an option but it is convenient to be able to adjust the volume in two very separate locations via the in wall controllers.  I will also check the prices at IKEA as had not thought of this retailer as a potential source. 

Both the options I mentioned can be walled mounted if you wish. The benefit of doing it this way is that you won’t have two competing volume control systems over your speakers.  When you change the volume on remote, you will see it change in the app.  If you use a hard wired switch, if you mute on the switch, you can’t change it on the app...and vice versa.

Hi,

I took a quick look at the Lutron and Ikea controllers (and now confused) - do these work for wired speakers or only wireless speakers?  If it works with wired speakers then the Lutron volume controller  adjusts the volume on the app but how does that work of you have 2 Lutron controllers?  Thanks for your time.

Hi,

I took a quick look at the Lutron and Ikea controllers (and now confused) - do these work for wired speakers or only wireless speakers?  If it works with wired speakers then the Lutron volume controller  adjusts the volume on the app but how does that work of you have 2 Lutron controllers?  Thanks for your time.

They work with any Sonos speakers. Both ikea and Lutron require you to setup a hub wired to your router.  The hub communicates with Sonos through your router, essentially.  Both ikea and lutron have their own apps, and you will need to assign each remote you get to a specific Sonos room.  So you’ll be buying a hub, and two remotes, at a minimum for your two rooms.  You can get multiple remotes per room if you want.

The ikea option is cheaper and works pretty well.  A simple volume control knob you can leave loose, or stick on a wall. You’ll also want the hub if you want to use ikea smart bulbs or shades.

Lutron is more expensive, but has a lot more features. It is primarily a smart light switch company, and you’ll have to buy a starter pack that contains a switch to get a hub.  Some of the starter packs contain 1 or 2 remotes in them as well. The remotes have 5 buttons...switch between sonos favorites, fwd, rev, volume up, volume down.  You can also use the lutron app to schedule your sonos rooms, grouped or single, to play favorites, and stop playing at a set time.  If you have light switches  setup, those can be scheduled, and combined with Sonos.  For example, you can set a morning wakeup where the bathroom light comes on, along with your favorite station, and then shuts off automatically when you’d normally have left for work.

Also, some of the remotes are labeled for specific devices, like audio, fans, or lights, but they will work with lights.  I just setup one of mine with lights on it to control my family room sonos and it works fine.

Probably should have just give you link to lutron store.  Worth noting that if you want to mount to look like a typical wall switch/control, you will need the remote, a wall plate bracket, and a wall plate.

Lutron appears to be a very good solution. Really appreciate you taking the time to provide such detailed information. :)