Ideas for easy integration/control with home theater receiver

• 22 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Curious what innovative ways folks have integrated your SONOS connects with your existing receivers. I've tried a few things, but not thrilled with any of them unfortunately so far, and am tempted to just have a separate set of speakers/amp.

How do you deal with volume control - Since volume control will be tied to other receiver sources like TV.
How do you deal with source switching

My answers to above:

How do you deal with volume control:

- I've tried fixed volume on SONOS, but then you still have to adjust volume in two places one for the other sonos devices not connected to receiver and one for the device on the receiver.

- I've set receiver to have different volumes per source, so setting the source for the SONOS at a higher level compared to other sources, and then you can still do the adjustments on the SONOS controller for volume. This seems to be the best route, although unfortunately my receivers range in volume per source isn't great enough, so it will be hard to get volume as loud as I'd like without causing other source volumes to be way too high.

-HDMI ARC control from TV remote control

How do you deal with source switching:

- Using Logitech Harmony Pop Buttons on the wall, along with Lutron Cassetta. Pop button will switch source on receiver, and then playback/volume basic controls can be controlled via Cassetta switch. I've also integrated this with Alexa, but still working out commands with her.

- Using a single source on receiver, where my TV input is via HDMI ARC and is digital, and the SONOS connect is Analog. The receiver I have can have two inputs on one source, and automatically switch the digital when the TV is turned on. However, it can't automatically switch to analog.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My receiver adjusts pretty well between sources so I haven't had any trouble setting receiver volume to fixed and adjust with Sonos app.

Your receiver doesn't have digital in optical that it can take from the Sonos. I actually have my connect hooked to receiver with digital and analog cables. My Zone1 on receiver can play the digital but my Zone2 only passes the analog connection so I have to have both connected.
I’ve never been able to get the optical out on any of my connects to work for some reason, probably worth trying again.

So in the above setup, how do you switch between sources on your receiver without having it be an extra step?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I primarily play to zone 2 which is only on Sonos. Otherwise i use my Logitech remote to chose sources. So yes a second step. I also can change sources and adjust volume on my pioneer receiver with their app (I have the Ethernet on my receiver hooked to the connect to get network access)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I primarily play to zone 2 which is only on Sonos. Otherwise i use my Logitech remote to chose sources. So yes a second step. I also can change sources and adjust volume on my pioneer receiver with their app (I have the Ethernet on my receiver hooked to the connect to get network access)

Yes, this is the issue I’m having. There’s really no good way to use an existing 5.1 setup tied to a receiver for sonos, unless you’re willing to have a 2nd step.

You may want to try what I did to avoid having to change sources at least, albeit then you’ll have to run analog for sonos.