Answered

i can't control the volume with my TV Remote

• 11 February 2024
  • 10 replies

hello, everyone! i just bought my very 1st Sonos, Beam (Gen 2) last year. everythings went well except my TV’s remote can’t control the volume, so i always using the app to turn up/down the volume. i’m using Sony Bravia VU3 with RF remote and i’m kind of tired with this problem. can anyone help me here? maybe another device could solve this? oh, and i already tried to setup my remote via app thousands of time and never succeed.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 February 2024, 07:07

View original

10 replies

How do you have your Beam connected to the TV?

If it’s via the ARC (HDMI), you need to make sure CEC (or whatever Sony calls it these days, BRAVIA-Sync?) is turned on. If it’s via optical, the TV doesn’t send volume via that method, you’d need to look at the TV’s manual and make the remote work via IR, and then go through the process of setting up the remote in the Sonos controller in the room settings for the Beam. 

i’m using the built in cable from Sonos and also the converter, so i think it’s optical, right? since everybody said use the optical for the best audio. okay, i’ll try to find out about that. thanks a lot for helping me!

Userlevel 7

i’m using the built in cable from Sonos and also the converter, so i think it’s optical, right? since everybody said use the optical for the best audio. okay, i’ll try to find out about that. thanks a lot for helping me!

Follow @Airgetlam ‘s advice.

BTW…who is/are “everybody” that said use optical for best audio? The Beam2 is designed to deliver Dolby Atmos (in addition to other audio codecs) which is not possible over optical. Of course getting Dolby Atmos depends upon if your model has eARC and/or will allow audio pass through.

The Beam2 will still deliver Dolby Atmos with a HDMI connection with any Sonos speaker capable of being used as a surround (meaning that Era 300’s are not a requirement). Not to be overly critical but for your choice of connection to your Sony you could have purchased a Sonos Ray and saved money. 

please give me more information for this… what should i do to get the best audio from my Sonos Beam Gen 2?

Connect an HDMI cable between the. TV’s HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC (you’ll have one or the other) and BEAM’s HDMI port. Power down both the TV and BEAM before making this connection. 

should i re-tune with the Trueplay after changing the connection?

Userlevel 7

should i re-tune with the Trueplay after changing the connection?

Yes 👍 

thank you everyone! i’ve changed the connection, retuned and my TV’s remote is now working! thanks a lot, guys!

Not to be overly critical but for your choice of connection to your Sony you could have purchased a Sonos Ray and saved money

Hi, 

this is what I did yesterday. Bought a Ray only to find my Bravia’s remote is not IR, so I can’t use it. Before attempting to return it, do you know of any workaround?

The Sonos helpline could not.

Check with the Sony manual on how to turn on IR on the remote. If that doesn’t work, call Sony’s CS people. There are lots of devices that don’t connect via CEC, their remote has to be able to control other devices via IR.